Executive Assistant, Policy
- The Good Food Institute
- Washington D.C.
- Feb 03, 2023
- Mar 10, 2023
- Full Time
Powering the team of policy advocates transforming the food system The Good Food Institute is a nonprofit think tank working to make the global food system better for the planet, people, and animals. Alongside scientists, businesses, and policymakers, GFI’s teams focus on making plant-based and cultivated meat delicious, affordable, and accessible. Powered by philanthropy, GFI is an international network of organizations advancing alternative proteins as an essential solution needed to meet the world’s climate, global health, food security, and biodiversity goals.
How You Will Make a Difference
GFI’s Policy Department is focused on using public policy to accelerate progress on alternative proteins. What exactly does that mean? The Policy Team advocates for industry funding from federal and state governments, educates legislators on the benefits of leveling the playing field for alternative proteins, and litigates when necessary. We also conduct international policy work and collaborate with other nonprofits with similar missions. We are serious about the work that we do, but we also make time to have fun as a team and have a very collegial office atmosphere!
As the Executive Assistant, Policy, based in GFI's Washington D.C. office, you will help keep our mission-oriented team running smoothly by providing administrative support and ensuring that our workspace is conducive to collaboration and productivity. You will be responsible for:
- Drafting, proofreading, and cite-checking correspondence, presentations, meeting backgrounders, and general materials, including submissions to government agencies and policymakers.
- Providing research assistance, including monitoring state legislation and conducting due diligence reports (training will be provided).
- Coordinating weekly, monthly, and annual reporting for the department, including building Salesforce reports, and ensuring Asana projects are organized and up to date.
- Supporting the Vice President of Policy and Director of Policy by booking meetings and travel, preparing detailed agendas and trip itineraries, and managing their Google calendars, also providing meeting and travel support to other members of the Policy Team.
- Ensuring that Salesforce is up-to-date with notes from meetings and other communications. As an organization we use Salesforce to share information (training will be provided).
- Managing the department’s Google Drive, including file and folder maintenance and organization and ensuring that sharing settings on confidential and sensitive documents are correct.
- Assisting with expense reports in Abacus.
Who We’re Looking For
- The Executive Assistant, Policy must have:
- At least four years of experience working as an executive assistant or in another administrative role. Experience copyediting, designing slide decks, or planning events is a plus.
Proficiency in Google Workplace applications (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Meet, Calendar, and Forms).
- Experience with Asana, Zoom, Salesforce, Abacus, Greenhouse, or similar tools is a plus.
- Exceptional attention to detail and a high degree of organization and efficiency.
- A strong work ethic, a solutions-oriented mindset, and a desire to contribute to a collegial atmosphere.
- The ability to keep track of multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines, and work effectively as a member of a team is preferred.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and to building an inclusive workplace where everyone feels like they belong.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission; demonstrated interest in plant based & other alt proteins, public health, environmentalism, climate change, animal protection, or hunger relief.
- Commitment to GFI’s values: believe change is possible, do the most good we can, share knowledge freely, act on evidence, and invite everyone to the table.
- The ability to contribute to the diversity of ideas and backgrounds on the Policy Team is preferred.
- Keeping supplies for our Policy Office stocked and organized.
- Helping to organize events at the office or other local venues with government representatives.
- Being the point person to work with vendors to find solutions to tech problems in the Policy Office
- Managing all general inquiries to the Policy Department.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We use a third-party anonymizing tool to redact personal information from submitted applications — including name, location, contact details, and several other factors — to reduce bias and increase fairness in our process. We strongly encourage people of every race, color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
Research indicates that men tend to apply for jobs when they meet just 60% of the criteria, while women and people from other marginalized groups only apply if they are a 100% match. If you are passionate about GFI’s mission and think you have what it takes to be successful in this role even if you don’t check all the boxes, please apply. We’d appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Full-time or, if preferable to the right candidate, 32-35 hours per week (at a prorated salary); non-exempt
- Reports to: Curt Chaffin, Director of Policy
- Location: Farragut Square; Washington, D.C.; Hybrid (3 days a week in office, 2 from home)
- Travel: Up to two weeks per year for organization retreats.
- Benefits: Full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) plan with employer match, flexible holiday and vacation plans, opportunity for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues. More information here: https://tinyurl.com/GFIBenefits.
- This is a U.S.-based position: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- COVID vaccination policy: GFI requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination will be requested before the start of employment. GFI will consider requests for accommodations or exemptions from this policy on a case by case basis, in accordance with applicable laws.
- Salary: $70,205
Decided not to apply? If after reviewing this job description, you have decided not to apply, please let us know why by completing this short survey: https://tinyurl.com/GFIJobSurvey.
Interested in working at the Good Food Institute? Join us for the Career Opportunities Webinar to learn more about our work and ask questions about specific job opportunities! See upcoming webinar dates and more information at https://tinyurl.com/GFICareers.