RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You will provide timely, professional architectural products, services, and consultation for the planning, design, construction, and maintenance of facilities for the Navy, Marine Corps, and other Supported Commands.
- You will lead multidisciplinary in-house design teams in providing architectural design work products and services within milestones and quality standards.
- You will coordinate architectural design with engineering disciplines for Design-Bid-Build and Design-Build projects.
- You will execute design and analyses, utilizing advanced architectural software.
- You will exhibit proficiency in the Whole Building Design Guide (WBGD), current version of AutoCAD, architectural design/analysis software, and Specs Intact, utilized for the completion of the design drawings and specifications.
- You will provide post construction award services to include review and approval of contractor submittals.
- Your will serve as a mentor for new and junior architects in the organization.
QualificationsThis position has a Selective Placement Factor that will be used to screen out ineligible candidates.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Per the preliminary nationwide injunction on E.O. 14043, COVID-19 vaccinations will not be implemented or enforced. For more information on vaccine status and workplace safety protocol requirements see Additional Information below.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain a current valid United States driver?s license.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- This position is covered under the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA). Certification in the Acquisition Functional Area and category assigned to the position is required within established category timeframes.
- You will be required to complete ethics orientation within three months of appointment and submit a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, OGE-450, within 30 days of appointment.
- The incumbent may be assigned to a similar position at any site or workstation within the designated Area of Responsibility as a condition of employment.
- This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
- You will be required to complete training, obtain, and maintain a government credit card for travel and travel-related purchases.
The Selective Placement Factor is: You must currently be a Registered Professional Architect (RA) in the District of Columbia, Guam, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any State in the U.S. Note: You must submit proof of your registration with your application.
In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements and Selective Placement Factor for this position, your resume must also demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-12 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following: 1) Developing design drawings and specifications for new facilities or repair, restoration, and alteration of existing facilities using advanced architectural software such as AutoCAD and/or Specs-In-Tact; 2) Participating in on-site analysis to collect data and develop scope for construction projects; 3) Coordinating the architectural design with engineering disciplines to ensure compatibility and efficiency of the site and building design; and 4) Investigating architectural issues and concerns to recommend options for remediation or corrective measures. Note: Experience must clearly be documented in your resume.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website:
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. EducationApplicants must meet the following Basic Requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Standards Manual:
Successful completion of a bachelor's or higher degree in architecture.OR
Successful completion of a bachelor's or higher degree in a field related to architecture that included 60 semester hours of course work in architecture or related disciplines of which at least (1) 30 semester hours were in architectural design, and (2) 6 semester hours were in each of the following: structural technology, properties of materials and methods of construction, and environmental control systems.OR
Successful completion of a combination of college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the arts and sciences underlying professional architecture, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the architectural principles, methods, and techniques and their applications to the design and construction or improvement of buildings. My curriculum for a degree in either architecture or architectural engineering covers function, esthetics, site, structure, economics, mechanical-electrical, and other engineering problems related to the design and construction of buildings primarily (but not exclusively) intended to house human activities OR I lack a degree in architecture, but I have 1 year of experience in an architect's office or in architectural work for each year short of graduation from a program of study in architecture that demonstrates that I have acquired a thorough knowledge of the fundamental principles and theories of professional architecture. (Note - In the absence of college courses, 5 years of such experience is required).DEGREE AUDITS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE. Additional informationCOVID VACCINATION INFORMATION:
To comply with the recent preliminary nationwide injunction on Executive Order 14043, Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees, the Department of the Navy is not taking any action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement. New hires will need to provide their vaccination status as well as comply with workplace safety protocols related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
This announcement uses the Certain Personnel of the DoD/Modified direct hire authority to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service.
Certain incentives (such as Recruitment, Relocation or Student Loan Repayment) may be authorized to eligible selectees.
A relocation incentive is generally a single payment intended to offset some of the relocation costs experienced by the selectee. A relocation incentive may be authorized.
This position is being recruited at the full performance level.
A forty-hour work week is typical of this position. Incumbent may be required to work overtime. Overtime may be required but not guaranteed on a regular basis.
This position is eligible for part time, substantial or ad-hoc telework at the discretion of management.
Incumbent will proactively pursue completion of training required by the CI Community Management Plan and the incumbent's Individual Development Plan (IDP).
The work is primarily sedentary. Some work requires periods of walking, standing, bending, climbing, or driving a motor vehicle in activities such as inspections of construction sites.
The work is usually performed in an office setting. The work area normally involves everyday risks or discomforts requiring safety precautions typical of offices or meeting rooms.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Several vacancies may be filled.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.