Duties**As of 1/31//2023, the closing date of this announcement has been extended to 2/8/2023.**
As a Supervisory Health Scientist - Branch Chief, you will oversee and manage the Quality Assurance and Analysis Branch and manage and lead activities related to program data collection, data management, data analysis, program evaluation, data dissemination, and/or implementation science.
Your major duties and responsibilities may include:
NOTE: Do not cut and paste the duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire from this announcement into your resume as that will not be considered a demonstration of your qualifications for this position. RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Directing and working with a team responsible for planning and conducting the collection, management, and analysis of PRB data and initiatives including program evaluation and data dissemination, adjusting work to accommodate resource allocation decisions.
- Supervising the statistical analysis of data, including but not limited to recipients of funding and associated expenditures of providers.
- Training staff members on the design and execution of statistical data analysis.
- Providing expertise and direction on the appropriate use of evaluation methods as well as other qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Performing statistical analyses and preparing written analytical reports, manuscripts, posters, or related documents.
- Leading staff in the conceptualization and execution of complex data analyses, including the selection of specific methods and procedures for evaluations.
- Writing and presenting clear summaries of the findings and analyses to Bureau leadership, staff, and external scientific and non-scientific communities.
QualificationsTHESE QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET BY THE CLOSING DATE
- U. S. Citizenship is required.
- All qualifications and time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement. Federal applicants must submit an SF-50 to show status and time-in-grade.
- Males ages 18 through 25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- PHS Commissioned Corps applicants must submit current personnel orders.
- This position has an education requirement. Transcripts are required.
- A one year supervisory probationary period may be required.
- Position is not in the Bargaining Unit.
- Recruitment incentives are not authorized.
- Student loan repayment incentive is not authorized.
- Employment is subject to the successful completion of the pre-appointment process (i.e., background investigation, verification of qualifications and job requirements, completion of onboarding forms, submission of required documents, etc.)
: 02/08/2023Do not cut and paste the duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire from this announcement into your resume as that will not be considered a demonstration of your qualifications for this position. QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:OPM INDIVIDUAL OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR GENERAL MEDICAL AND HEALTHCARE SERIES, 0601:You must have a Bachelor's or graduate/higher degree with major study in an academic field related to the medical field, health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position being advertised.
This degree must be from an educational program from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained. You must provide a copy of your unofficial transcripts that verify that you meet this education requirement by the closing date of this announcement. A copy of a diploma is not acceptable as verification. In addition to the OPM Education requirements, to qualify for this position
at the GS-14 level, your resume must clearly
demonstrate that you have one full year of the minimum qualifying experience comparable in difficulty and responsibility
to at least the GS-13 level in the federal service. MINIMUM QUALIFYING SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE
is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, an applicant's one full year of specialized experience must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for successful job performance.
Examples of minimum qualifying specialized experience equal to the GS-13
level include performing the following types of tasks on a regular and recurring basis:
- Analyzing quantitative or qualitative public health data using statistical analysis tools (e.g. SAS) to monitor compliance, draw conclusions, identify issues of concern and develop preliminary action plans for public health programs; AND
- Designing and executing research projects or reports that study the distribution and impact of funding on health care providers.
refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; community; student; social). If such experience is on a part-time basis, you must provide the average number of hours worked per week as well as the beginning and ending dates of the experience so it can be fully credited.Applicants whose resumes clearly demonstrate the required minimum qualifying specialized experience will be evaluated based on the occupational assessment competencies listed below. A COMPETENCY is defined as a measurable pattern of knowledge, skills, abilities, behaviors, and other characteristics that an individual needs to perform work roles or occupational functions.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
LEADERSHIP - Inspires, motivates and guides others toward goal accomplishment; coaches and mentors subordinates, adapts leadership styles to a variety of situations; models high standards of honesty, integrity, trust, openness, and respect for individuals by applying these values to daily behaviors. EVALUATION - The structured process of reviewing, analyzing, or interpreting information and giving meaning or value to that information, based on the predicted or actual impact of results on established goals and objectives. STATISTICAL ANALYSIS - Uses descriptive or inferential statistical methods to collect explore and present large amounts of data to discover underlying patterns and trends. SCIENTIFIC WRITING - Prepares written documentation to transfer scientific information about concepts, situations, products, services, or results to audiences with varying levels of scientific knowledge. TO PREVIEW THE OCCUPATIONAL ASSESSMENT QUESTIONNAIRE
, please click on the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11798825 Current status candidates must provide an SF-50 that allows HR to verify that they meet Time-in-Grade (TIG) requirements by the closing date of the announcement. Please Note: An SF-50 for the current year pay adjustment is NOT acceptable for verifying TIG (ex. 2023 general increases cannot be used to verify TIG). To allow us to verify that you meet TIG requirements, please provide any of the following SF-50s:
Competitive or Career-ladder promotion to your highest grade (this does NOT include 120 day temporary promotions ) Regular Within Range Increase (WRI) or With In Grade (WGI) increase at your highest grade (this does not include quality step increases (QSIs). Competitive career/career-conditional appointment to your highest grade. Not sure which SF-50 to submit? Check out our video...
- SF-50 at your highest grade held, that is at least one year older than the announcement closing date of 02/08/2023.
Go here to watch the video on the SF50s to submit in your application package . Education
This position has an education requirement. You must submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades) to document that you have met the education requirement. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required prior to your starting work.Foreign Education
: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov .
Applications can be accepted from students who expect to complete qualifying education within 9 months from the date of application. However, agencies must verify that the education was completed successfully before the applicant can be appointed. Additional information
HHS is an equal opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be based solely on merit without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status or other differences. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees . Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action. E-Verify: HRSA participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their social security numbers. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing. Creditable Service: A newly appointed or reappointed employee may receive service credit for annual leave for prior work experience directly related to the duties of the position being filled. The use of this service credit is at the discretion of the selecting official and must be finalized prior to selectee's entrance on duty. For more information, please click here .