President & CEO
- YMCA of Greater Richmond
- Richmond, Virginia
- Jan 31, 2023
- Mar 07, 2023
- Career Level
- Executive (Director, VP, Department Head, etc)
- Full Time
The YMCA of Greater Richmond is an equal opportunity employer committed to valuing diversity and practicing inclusion.
Position Description and Board Expectations:
Opportunity to lead a $51 million revenue community centered organization with 17 locations serving the Richmond Metropolitan area. For over 160 years, the YMCA of Greater Richmond has carried out its mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all. The YMCA has responded to the changing needs of our dynamic community and has implemented strategic initiatives to meet future community needs in youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. The YMCA of Greater Richmond recognizes and celebrates strong diverse and inclusive communities for all.
The board believes its new CEO should be an experienced leader who has the background and qualities that will permit him or her to achieve excellence in the following roles:
Strategic Plan and Vision Casting
The Y’s 2015-2025 strategic plan successfully moved the organization forward. The Y is a trusted leader in community health and out-of-school time initiatives partnering with school systems, corporations, not-for-profits and state and local leaders to strengthen our community. As the current strategic plan comes to a close, the CEO will lead the next strategic plan process, building upon our strong foundation, driving innovation, and seeking input and garnering support from key Y stakeholders. The CEO must be able to articulate a compelling vision for what the Y is and how the organization will support and partner with the community, elevating the Y experience. Working with the volunteer board and staff, the CEO will promote the vision of the organization energizing and inspiring staff, board members and the community. Additionally, the CEO must be able to articulate the impact the Y has made and will continue to make.
The YMCA has engaged a consultant to provide data to help envision a 10-year development plan to be more proactive in targeting future growth markets, inform reinvestment in existing markets and evolve product offerings to meet evolving market dynamics and stakeholder expectations. The CEO will utilize this information in conjunction with the board to identify development partnerships, program, and branch growth opportunities, and grow capacity for future capital campaigns.
Advocate for the YMCA Vision throughout the Community and Collaborator
The Y is expected to be a trusted partner and lead in the growth and expansion of programs and services to address community needs. The CEO will be the face of the organization and must demonstrate the ability to develop and cultivate relationships with key stakeholders, upholding the highest standards and values of the Y and leveraging those relationships to enhance support for the mission. The ideal candidate will be an excellent spokesperson and thought leader with the ability to influence and infuse the mission, cause, and values into every aspect of the YMCA. The CEO will ensure the Y voice has a consistent message across the Association and is heard in our community.
Lead and Build the Staff Team/Continue to Build a Positive and Productive Culture
The CEO will demonstrate an engaging, open, positive, and inclusive leadership style and continue to build and maintain a culture promoting the Y’s values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility. The CEO must demonstrate a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of the organization. The CEO will collaborate with association leaders to identify the competencies and expertise required by the organization to attract, motivate, develop, and retain the talent required to meet the organization’s goals. The Y has a strong, experienced senior leadership team in place and the CEO is expected to build strong relationships, leverage their skills and expertise to meet strategic priorities, while also being proactive in building a solid leadership succession plan. The CEO will encourage innovation and cross-functional collaboration to lead to superior outcomes in programs, membership growth and retention, and community engagement.
Financial Development and a Culture of Philanthropy
The YMCA of Greater Richmond has a strong culture of financial development. This is a great strength of the Association and needs ongoing attention for continued growth. The CEO must be able to understand, support, and nurture the philanthropic goals of the Association (including but not limited to Capital, Annual, and Endowment). The CEO must assure that public and private resources are available to support operational and capital needs. The CEO will position the Y as a charity of choice by instilling confidence, credibility, and trust in the Y with corporations, foundation leaders and major donors. The CEO will mentor and develop our strong SVP of Philanthropy and work alongside them to ensure strong community relationships, collaborative work with staff and volunteers to maximize funding opportunities and direct the organization on funding priorities.
The YMCA of Greater Richmond benefits from a strong financial foundation, financial staff, and Fiscal Management Committee. The new CEO must have competencies that demonstrate the ability to understand fiscal challenges and complexities and ensure that the sound fiscal stewardship of the YMCA continues. The CEO will assist and empower staff leaders to optimize the financial operation of the Association and its branches, while also balancing the need to serve the broader community. The CEO will utilize sophisticated financial analysis to evaluate risks, growth opportunities, specific projects, and financing strategies in developing short- and long-term business plans.
Salary Range: Compensation will be competitive, reflective of market data and commensurate with experience.
Residency Expectation: Living in the YMCA’s service area is required.
Qualities of the Next Leader
- Highest degree of integrity with a strong commitment to the highest ethical standards
- Responsible for own actions and the actions of direct reports
- Lives the life of healthy living
- Motivated by a strong personal mission to serve others
- Passionate leader who inspires and champions the mission among associates, volunteers, members, and community partners
- Champion of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Advocate for constructive accountability for own actions and the actions of others
- Strong strategic and critical thinker
- Problem-solver with the ability to make difficult decisions
- Team builder who delegates effectively and seeks and values diverse stakeholder viewpoints
- Adaptive leader who responds nimbly and innovatively to changing circumstances
- Exceptional written and oral presentation skills
- Welcomes divergent opinions and promotes open dialogue
- Excellent interpersonal skills including empathy, patience, and active listening
- Consensus Builder
Criteria for Candidate
- Accredited 4-year college degree
- 10+years’ experience in a senior leadership role with direct supervision of multiple levels of staff
- Ability to lead and operate a complex multi-branch organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Values consistent with the YMCA mission
- Must have the ability to develop and strengthen community relationships
- Ability to develop new programs, review and enhance programs and broaden our engagement in the communities in which we serve
- Demonstrated experience in fiscally sound business and budgetary management including value creation through strategic transactions and/or operational improvements; progressive management of real estate assets experience would be additive
- Proven record of successful philanthropy
- Experience in developing strategic partnerships and collaborations for advancing the mission
- Ability and capacity to bring forward new ideas for growing and expanding services
- Demonstrated success in building a team by leading, encouraging, attracting, engaging, and developing talented staff
Richmond is the capital of Virginia and is located 90 miles south of Washington, D.C. The metro statistical area population in 2022 was 1.3 million and 40% of the population (25-64) has attained a bachelor’s degree or higher. The area offers unique downtown living with historic homes and industrial lofts as well as upscale communities in the suburbs and includes great public and private school options. Situated on the James River, Richmond celebrates an eclectic culture with its history, numerous local breweries, and wineries, four universities, museums, outdoor activities, and a vibrant food scene.
Target Dates for the Search Process:
Resumes accepted through: February 27, 2023
Preliminary interviews scheduled: Week of April 3-7
Final interviews: April 17-19
CEO selection made: April 20
New CEO on board (anticipated): Early June 2023
Candidates will apply via the following website: https://tinyurl.com/ymca-of-greater-richmond-ceo
You will be requested to submit the following with your online application: A resume and cover letter, along with four professional and two personal references. Note: References will be checked on final candidates.