Program Manager II (Transfer Station Operations Manager)
- Montgomery County Government
- Derwood, Maryland
- Jan 30, 2023
- Feb 27, 2023
- Program Manager
- Government and Public Services, Federal
- Full Time
Program Manager II (Transfer Station Operations Manager)
Montgomery County Government
Department of Environmental Protection
16101 Frederick Rd Derwood, MD 20855
Salary Range: $68,940 - $113,091
The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County’s air, water, and land in a sustainable, innovative, inclusive, and industry-leading way while fostering smart growth, a thriving more sustainable economy and healthy communities.
DEP is seeking to fill a Program Manager II (Transfer Station Operations) position in the Resource Conversion Section within the Recycling and Resource Management Division to serve as the Operations Manager for Montgomery County’s Transfer Station and Material Recovery Facility.
The Program Manager II, under the direction of the Section Chief of the Resource Conversion Section, will oversee the general operations of the Shady Grove Transfer Station and Material Recovery Facilities and coordinate activities with the site’s three contractors. The position will be responsible for the daily, weekly, and monthly tracking of materials coming in and out of the facility, as well as assist with coordinating activities and various projects with County employees, other Montgomery County Government departments or agencies, contractors, and subcontractors. The position will also be responsible for tracking and accounting of scale house transactions, leading enforcement efforts across the site, assisting with hauler coordination, drafting messaging and public communications regarding transfer station activities and operations, and providing feedback and guidance to the IT Team and contractors on revenue tracking systems, software and programs. This position provides direct supervision to union and non-union employees.
Other responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Oversee and track waste, recycling and reduction activities at the Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station, and the Material Recovery Facility.
• Coordinate future solid waste and/or recycling initiatives.
• Ensure safety procedures are followed.
• Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for Transfer Station site and operations.
• Develop memoranda of understanding, maintain current lists of authorized representatives from all agencies, work with customers to avoid conflict or interference with operations.
• Attend and lead operations meetings and provide input to policy and program decisions.
• Assist with responses to correspondence, drafting State legislation; and preparing presentations for citizens, other County ma agers and elected officials.
• Supervise and lead a team of employees (i.e., team building, planning, managing, directing, and supervising the work of subordinate supervisory, professional, administrative, and/or labor/trades personnel in a union environment).
• Contract Management/development of Service Agreements, Intergovernmental Agreements (IGA), Service Agreements, and other contractual agreements.
• Assist with the review and preparation program budgets directly relating to program specific activities.
The individual selected for this position is considered an “Essential Employee”. Essential employees must report to work during a general emergency or liberal leave.
***The employee is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, including a variety of weather conditions*** This position requires possession of a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive a County vehicle to travel frequently to worksites in order to inspect and oversee construction jobsites as well as meet with contracting staff and attend meetings and perform other work at various locations throughout Montgomery County.
Occasional evening or weekend work is required.
As a manager/supervisor of unionized employees, this position has a responsibility for fostering a positive labor relations environment based on mutual trust, respect, and cooperation.
To ensure a positive workplace and to comply with federal, state and County laws, the incumbent is responsible for completing mandatory trainings within the first three to six months or within the specified timeframe.
For information about Montgomery County’s comprehensive benefit offerings, please visit the MCG Careers Total Rewards webpage and check out our competitive benefits!
Experience: Thorough five (5) years professional experience in a program specialization area directly related to solid waste, recycling, environmental protection, or contract administration.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
License: Possession of a valid Class “C” (or equivalent) driver’s license from the applicant’s state of residence.
PREFERRED CRITERIA There are No Preferred Criteria Assessments. All applicants will be reviewed by the Office of Human Resources (OHR) for minimum qualifications. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will be rated “Qualified,” placed on the Eligible List, and may be considered for interview.
Preference for interviews will be given to applicants with experience in the following:
• Experience in written and oral communication (such as reports, proposals, correspondences, SOPs, presentations, community interactions, etc.) and working with a diverse customer population base.
• Experience in contract development and contract management.
• Experience in tracking fixed assets and preparing budgets.
• Experience with federal, state, and local environmental and safety regulations.
• Experience with solid waste, recycling, transfer station operations or related fields.
• Experience with the Oracle/ERP and Business Intelligence or similar reporting systems to monitor the financial status of projects/programs.
• Experience with Paradigm or similar scale system software.
• Experience working in a multi-level contractor environment.
• Experience supervising in a union and non-union environment.
If selected for consideration for this position, you may be required to provide evidence that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities indicated on your resume.
Montgomery County Government offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html and click on the “Search for Jobs at MCG” tab. Read the full job description under the “General Professional” Job Category.
The requisition number is IRC56977.
Interested candidates must create an online account in order to apply.
This Recruitment Closes February 27, 2023
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position, which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Resume Preparation Tips listed under the “Resources” tab on the Office of Human Resource’s MCG Careers webpage. EOE.