Manager, Government Affairs & Science Policy - ASPET
- American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET)
- Rockville, Maryland
- Jan 30, 2023
- Mar 06, 2023
- Associations, Nonprofit
- Career Level
- Manager (Manager / Supervisor of Staff)
- Full Time
The American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) seeks an experienced professional to serve as their Manager, Government Affairs & Science Policy.
ASPET is a 4,000-member scientific society whose members conduct basic and clinical pharmacological research and work in academia, government, industry, and non-profit organizations. ASPET members conduct research leading to the development of new medicines and therapeutic agents to fight existing and emerging diseases.
ASPET’s mission is to be the professional home for educators, students, researchers, healthcare practitioners, and others working to advance pharmacological sciences and increase the impact and influence of this scientific discipline. ASPET is looking for a forward-thinking, policy focused, and results oriented individual to serve as a key member of the Government Affairs and Science Policy team.
Collaborates with the Director Government Affairs & Science Policy to develop, execute, and evaluate advocacy strategies that advance ASPET’s public policy work. Assists in the development of content for communications and cross departmental resources to assist ASPET members participation in advocacy efforts. Represents ASPET’s interests at various stakeholder meetings.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in identification and tracking of issues that may affect pharmacology and science policy, and to develop advocacy materials and tools such as comment letters, position statements, testimony and other communications.
- Serve as a staff liaison and provides administrative support for the Science Policy Committee and its related subcommittees and task forces.
- Work alongside the Director to advocate for ASPET’s position with federal agency staff, other organizations, congressional staff, and elected officials on Capitol Hill.
- Manage and write content and other material for dissemination via ASPET member listserv, policy newsletter, website, social media, and other online tools.
- Provide communication staff with content, timeline, and strategy for publicizing advocacy issues and projects.
- Participate in and document the proceedings of selected meetings and develop relationships with staff of other organizations.
- Develop and maintain ASPET website content and pages containing ASPET advocacy issues and projects including the grassroots system.
- Collaborate and strategize with the Director and Science Policy Committee on effective advocacy strategies and identify future issues that may impact pharmacology.
- Advise and assist with operations of Washington Fellows Program and related subcommittee, including administrative tasks, preparing briefing materials, leading programming, and attending hill days.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills, organization skills, attention to detail, and proof-reading and editing skills.
- Able to problem-solve, think creatively and strategically, meet deadlines, budgets, and prioritize multiple tasks and projects.
- Interact professionally and collaboratively on a team.
- Work effectively with volunteer leadership and staff to accomplish strategic objectives, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Flexible and highly adaptable to take on new or changing priorities.
- Proficient with MS Office suite, and legislative/regulatory tracking software, grassroots software.
- Travel to Annual Meeting and other meetings as needed, typically less than 5%.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree in science, law, political science, or public policy or equivalent preferred.
- 3+years' experience with government relations/public policy required.
- Understanding of science policy and science issues in public policy. Experience with drug policy issues and animals in research issues a plus.
This position is a full-time, exempt position, offering a competitive salary with exceptional benefits that include a 403(b)-retirement plan; holidays; annual and sick leave; medical, dental and vision insurance plans; flexible spending account; life and short- and long-term disability insurance.
This position is located in Rockville, Maryland and within walking distance to the Metro and on major bus lines. ASPET currently operates on a flexible work schedule with options for telework; some in-office time is required.
This position is located in an office setting. It requires prolonged periods of remaining stationary. Candidates need to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc., and may need to be able to move boxes weighing up to 30 lbs. They will constantly operate a computer and other office productivity equipment such as a copy machine and computer printer.
For more information and to apply, visit http://www.faseb.org/employment. Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements.
To learn more about ASPET, please visit www.aspet.org
ASPET is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.