- Responsible for accounting and financial activities: providing systems analysis, advice, and design regarding Financial Management and Accounting systems used by VA.
- Perform Analytical, evaluative and interpretive duties on any accounting matter, provides technical expertise to accounting staff, as well as an advisor to higher management throughout the facility.
- Perform account reconciliations, audits and regular reviews to ensure the integrity of the accounting data with the computerized systems.
- Knowledge of several computerized accounting information systems such as IFCAP, FMS, FMS, SF224, IPPS, PRS, RSD, FASPAC, SNAPWEB, ICR, OCTnet, VSSC, DIRECT, e-Concur.
- Evaluate the validity of the accounting records and recommending and establishing necessary procedural changes to maintain proper records, maintaining close contact with FMS and AMM personnel in reconciling the Fixed Asset programs.
- Responsible for implementing the correction action plan for the discrepancies in the Finance Quality Assurance reviews and maintain healthy VHA Financial Indicators, by conducting training for the both new and seasoned employees to ensure these discrepancies are corrected and do not become recurring items.
- Performs liaison function between local operating elements and the finance office in such matters by gathering and interpreting pertinent data and deriving solutions day-to-day finance and accounting matters.
- Consistently communicates and treats customers (patients, visitors, volunteers, and all Medical Center staff) in a courteous, tactful, and respectful manner.
- Provides the customer with consistent information according to established policies and procedures.
- Handles conflict and problems in dealing with the customer constructively and appropriately.
- Must possess effective interpersonal and communication skills in order to properly disclose the vast amount of accounting information needed by fiscal management and other managers.
- Effectively communicate with all services and explain cost reports and financial statements that are generated by the accounting section.
- Conducts daily examination of various accounting transaction listings, cost reports, financial statements, project fund balances, and work orders to ascertain accuracy and completeness of data.
- Professional knowledge of accounting and, as required, auditing concepts, principles, and methods sufficient to work independently using conventional procedures and practices that apply to most situations encountered.
- Recognizes significant account variances and assists higher level accountants in the proper research and reconciliation of all accounting records.
The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.Work Schedule:
Monday thru Friday; 8:00AM - 4:30PM Telework:
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process. Virtual:
May be remote for highly qualified candidates Position Description/PD#:
PD18012A Relocation/Recruitment Incentives:
Not Authorized Permanent Change of Station (PCS):
Not Authorized Financial Disclosure Report:
Not Required RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to background/security investigation
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP)
- Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program is a requirement for all Veterans Health Administration Health Care Personnel (HCP) - See "Additional Information" below for details.
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 01/31/2023.Time-In-Grade Requirement
: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement. For a GS-09 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-07. The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. If the most recent SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you possess one-year time-in-grade, as required by the announcement. In this instance, you must provide an additional SF-50 that clearly demonstrates one-year time-in-grade. Note:
Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) appointment.
You may qualify based on your experience and/or education as described below:Minimum Qualifications
: Applicants must meet the experience or education substitution requirements described below: Basic Requirements: Degree:
accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.") OR Combination of education and experience:
Have at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.Please note you must submit a copy of your transcript(s) or certificate, as described above, demonstrating the education required for this position. If you fail to submit transcripts you will not be considered for this position . Specialized Experience GS-09:
To qualify for the GS-09 level, you must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 level or higher in Federal service, or comparable experience not gained through Federal service. This experience must include: 1. Experience involving comprehensive knowledge of governmental accounting operations and requirements; 2. Using accounting and analytical techniques to solve a variety of accounting problems; 3. Using automated systems to complete transactions; and 4. Communicating ideas clearly, both orally and in writing. OR Education:
2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree OR Combination of education and experience:
Applicants may also combine education and experience to qualify at the GS-9 level. You must have a combination of specialized experience and education totaling to 100% of the requirements for the position. (TRANSCRIPTS REQUIRED) Specialized Experience GS-11:
To qualify for the GS-11 level, you must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level or higher in Federal service, or comparable experience not gained through Federal service. This experience must include: 1.
Knowledge of accounting and, as required, auditing concepts, principles, and methods sufficient to work independently using conventional procedures and practices that apply to most situations encountered; and 2.
Comprehensive knowledge of theories, practices, methods, techniques of accounting as required, auditing, organizational or program practices, policies; and 3.
Ability to independently plan & conduct a variety of assignments or investigations, analyze accounting systems or modify and adapt conventional accounting and analytical techniques to solve a variety of accounting problems. OR Education:
3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree OR Combination of education and experience:
Applicants may also combine education and experience to qualify at the GS-11 level. You must have a combination of specialized experience and education totaling to 100% of the requirements for the position. (TRANSCRIPTS REQUIRED).
You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position:
- Accounting Operations
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Service
- Oral Communication
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.Note
: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment. Physical Requirements:
Work is mostly sedentary but requires considerable typing, walking, speaking on the phone with individuals and in group settings, and working at a computer for the entire day.
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/ . Education
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.Note:
Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html . Additional informationReceiving Service Credit or Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave
: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. Selected applicants may qualify for credit toward annual leave accrual, based on prior work experience or military service experience. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.Special Employment Consideration:
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
(ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan
(CTAP) provide eligible displaced Federal/VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation (a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location) and be found well-qualified for this vacancy. To be well-qualified : applicants must possess experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the required competencies of the job. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ .
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .