Controls mulch grinding, hay production, glass processing and other specialty activities while simultaneously operating various types of heavy equipment for the purpose of landfill operations which could include moving ash. Serves as team lead and safety monitor in processing of wood, hay, glass and other specialty activities as assigned. Leads staff/contractors in projects, machinery use, safety and maintenance activities. Coordinates activities with other employees and maintains effective relationships. Operates equipment and leads crew operating specialized equipment engaged in grinding, hay production, glass processing and other specialty activities. Provides training on heavy and other specialized equipment to staff as instructed. Documents training and provides feedback to staff on safe and effective operation. Controls disposal and collection activities, such as convenience center and/or field operations. Visually inspects waste for hazardous material and regulatory compliance. Organizes landfill and/or snow operations and activities on site and/or in the field. Monitors specific operating area for safety concerns. Performs equipment maintenance, such as checking and adding fluids, changing hydraulic hoses, minor repairs, and trouble-shooting problems. Ensures team provides proper equipment maintenance to equipment being used; such as proper greasing and general upkeep. Prepares daily work logs including tracking of materials generated, staff hours utilized, inspection reports, pre-trip check sheets, log sheets and operating records. Advises the public on the correct way to dispose of refuse, recycling, hazardous and regulated material. Responds to county-wide emergencies, or special events requiring debris removal, snow removal, and disposal of refuse collections.Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Working knowledge of heavy equipment maintenance, minor repair and troubleshooting procedures;
- Thorough knowledge of state traffic laws and regulations;
- Thorough knowledge of state regulations and facility permit conditions with regard to solid waste disposal and facility operations;
- Working knowledge of county and state requirements regarding solid waste transfer and disposal;
- Working knowledge of computers:
- Thorough knowledge of safety standards and safe operating procedures relating to solid waste collection, transfer and disposal activities;
- Skill in the operation of a variety of heavy equipment;
- Ability to read and comprehend maps;
- Ability to lead others;
- Ability to efficiently and safely operate a wide variety of heavy equipment in grading, pushing, loading, leveling, site maintenance, snow removal and other operational needs;
- Ability to enforce safety standards in solid waste collection, transfer and disposal activities;
- Ability to effectively direct employees and contractors operating heavy equipment in potentially hazardous environments;
- Ability to use sound judgment in making independent decisions;
- Ability to effectively communicate the regulatory requirements to residents and businesses;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with the public and employees;
- Ability to prepare travel reports, pre-operational inspection reports, and regulatory inspection reports;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, noxious fumes, high levels of dust, etc.;
- Ability to comprehend and abide to safety practices.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to High school diploma or a GED issued by a state department of education, and three years of experience operating motorized heavy construction equipment and/or semi-tractor trailer, as appropriate.CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid driver's license.
- DOT Medical Card.
- Class "A" Commercial Driver's License (CDL) within 12 months of hire.
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, driving record check, and a pre-employment physical examination to the satisfaction of the employer.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- 1 year of experience operating Solid Waste Equipment.
- 1 year of experience operating construction-type equipment.
- 1 year working on an ash site.
Ability to walk, negotiate or traverse property sites that may be undergoing construction or having terrain that is not level. Work requires performing tasks in adverse weather conditions. Work requires performing tasks in an environment in which raw waste is present. This position requires one to be able to stand, stoop, bend, stretch, walk, climb, sit, kneel, crouch, reach, crawl, lift, and handle materials with manual dexterity. Ability to lift 50 pounds. with or without accommodation. Ability to handle strenuous activities and repetitive motions; Ability to perform duties in any type of weather conditions. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home ( Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity. Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.