Assistant Facilities Engineer
- The Phillips Collection
- Washington D.C.
- $80,000-$85,000 annually + benefits
- Jan 27, 2023
- Mar 03, 2023
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
- Full Time
Under the supervision of the Chief Engineer, the Assistant Facilities Engineer works with the facilities team to use their DC 3rd Class Steam Engineer license and CFC Universal certificate to maintain building equipment operations, conduct preventive maintenance, and ensure safety requirements are met, use facilities safety experience while performing daily duties. The Assistant Facilities Engineer will assist the Chief Engineer with operating physical and technical aspects for the repair and maintenance of all sizes of chillers, boilers, pumps, motors, air handler units, HVAC units, UPS systems, plumbing, electrical, and fire alarm systems. The incumbent will also maintain indoor air quality for all areas within the museum. As part of the museum’s essential staff, the Assistant Facilities Engineer will work with members of the Security Department, Curatorial team, and others on emergency evacuation, disaster recovery, and safety procedures.
DUTIES (include and are not limited to):
• Assist Chief Engineer with daily operations of the facilities equipment.
• Assist Chief Engineer and Facilities colleague with preventive maintenance of facilities equipment.
• Assist the Chief Engineer with facilities operation, access safety, and fire and life safety.
• Adhere to OSHA standards to perform tasks, utilizing hand and power tools, ladders, lift technique, PPE, etc.
• Work independently with knowledge and experience under your 3rd Class Steam Engineer license, including safely operating boilers, chillers, and facilities equipment, preparing boilers and equipment for annual inspection.
• Aid and support the Chief Engineer and designated sub-contractors to install and repair equipment and hardware as required.
• Work occasional early mornings and late evenings for emergency HVAC repair and snow removal, as scheduled. • Perform other building-related duties as assigned.
• DC 3rd Steam Engineer license or equivalent required.
• CFC Universal certificate is required.
• High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
• Knowledge of commercial HVAC systems; chillers; boilers, AHUs; VAVs; plumbing, electrical, fire alarm system, fire pump, generator, elevators, and EMS controllers.
• Experience working with commercial facilities equipment.
• Ability to perform close hand-and-eye coordination, active walking, and prolonged periods of standing on concrete floors, climbing, bending, reaching, and working in cramped positions or crowded areas.
• Ability to work for short periods on equipment or on roofs of outlying buildings in inclement weather.
• Ability to work in areas where equipment is in continual operation, where noise levels are abnormal and prevail., wearing appropriate PPE.
• Ability to work in areas with the following hazards: mechanical systems, gas, fumes, dirt, and grease. • Must be able to multi-task and perform in a fast-paced work environment.
• Able to lift and move a minimum of 50 lbs.
• Able to stand, bend, crawl, reach high ceilings, climb ladders, etc.
• Strong communication, customer service, and computer skills.
• Must be able to work early mornings, late evenings, and emergencies on occasion.
• A motor vehicle license is required.
• Must be able to pass a background check.
• Ability to comply with COVID-19 health and safety protocols, including COVID-19 vaccination/boosters.
The Phillips Collection is an equal opportunity employer and administers all employment decisions and personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic disposition or carrier status, marital status, veteran status, personal appearance, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other category protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.