RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Duties will vary depending on the mission of the division in which the incumbent works. Major duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Applying economic, econometric, and statistical principles and concepts to conduct high quality research and analysis; and improve the quality, and enhance the analytical usefulness of data;
- Providing advice and guidance to Agency and external colleagues to ensure application of sound economic principles and the use of effective quantitative and research methods;
- Serving as a technical expert on research and program development activities within the Agency, with other agencies, and research institutions;
- Conducting research involving theoretical and empirical issues of concern to Agency programs, including research that often involves investigation and experimentation into unexplored areas using state of the art techniques; and
- Communicating difficult concepts and findings in both verbal and written forms to officials responsible for public policy.
QualificationsIMPORTANT INFORMATION CONCERNING OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENTS
- You must be a US Citizen or US National
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check
- Successful completion of one-year probationary period, unless previously served.
- Direct Deposit - Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify at https://www.e-verify.gov/
- This is an open continuous announcement and will be used to fill vacancies as openings occur.
- To receive consideration for vacancies, applicants must submit complete applications prior to the established cut-off date(s). An initial cut-off will take place Wednesday, November 16, 2022 to begin initial applicant consideration. Additional cut-off dates will occur Wednesday, December 7, 2022; Wednesday, December 28, 2022; Tuesday, January 10, 2023; Tuesday, January 24, 2023; Tuesday, February 14, 2023; Tuesday, March 7, 2023; Tuesday, March 28, 2023; Tuesday, April 18, 2023; Tuesday, May 9, 2023; Tuesday, May 30, 2023; Tuesday, June 20, 2023; Tuesday, July 11, 2023; Tuesday, August 1, 2023; Tuesday, August 22, 2023; Tuesday, September 12, 2023; and Friday, September 29, 2023.
- Candidates for the position who submit a completed application by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the cut off dates will be reviewed and referred if found eligible and qualified. This announcement will remain open until the closing date indicated; however, those who apply after the cut-off date will be considered for referral to the hiring manager only if additional vacancies occur and/or the initial referral list is exhausted.
- Applicants must recertify (i.e. update/resubmit their application through USAJobs) every 3 months from the date of application/certification to continue to receive consideration for the position(s). Applicants who fail to do so will not be reviewed and referred and be dropped from consideration.
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date ( by cut-off dates ) of the announcement including specialized experience and/or education, as defined below.BASIC REQUIREMENT
A bachelor's (or higher) degree in economics that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus; OR
B. Combination of education and experience -- courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS In addition to the Basic Requirement listed above, you must meet the required specialized experience or education below: GS-12 SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:
Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level in the Federal service which is directly related to the work of this position and which has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. For this position, specialized experience is applying advanced economic research methodologies and quantitative analysis techniques to the conduct of complex economic research, analysis and outlook relevant to agriculture, food, natural resources, and/or rural development;OREDUCATION:
Applicants must have completed (or expect to complete within 9 months) a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in agricultural economics or related discipline. Education and experience may be combined to meet the total experience requirement. GS-13 SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:
Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal service which is directly related to the work of this position and which has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. For this position, specialized experience is applying advanced economic research methodologies and quantitative analysis techniques to the conduct of complex economic research, analysis and outlook relevant to agriculture, food, natural resources, and/or rural development. Evidence of peer-reviewed journal publications or publications by a federal statistical agency or nationally recognized independent research organization is required. It is suggested you submit a list of names, addresses, and phone numbers of persons familiar with your stature, contributions, recognition; any honors or awards received; memberships in professional or honor societies; invitations to make presentations at scientific/technical meetings; scientific society office and committee assignments; presentations (other than invitation); and publications.
Research Economists have open-ended promotion potential. Research accomplishments & their impact on the duties & responsibilities of positions are evaluated periodically. The grade level is limited only by the individual's demonstrated ability to perform research of recognized importance to science & technology. Final grade level may be determined by a peer review panel.IMPORTANT NOTE:
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date ( by cut-off dates ) of this vacancy announcement; however, applications can be accepted from students who expect to complete qualifying education requirements within 9 months from the date of application. Applicants must verify successful completion of the required education prior to appointment. All other applicants must be available to report for duty at the time of selection.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
**This Position is being filled through OPM's government-wide Direct-Hire Authority for this occupation and is open to all U.S. Citizens. Your application will be evaluated for basic eligibility and to determine if your experience and/or education meet the minimum qualification requirements described in this announcement. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and other basic requirements will be referred and are eligible for selection. ** Education
Please see above for education qualification requirement information. Additional information This position(s) is located in the United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service. The selectee is not required to report to a government office, however, the option to work in one of the Agency offices may be available.
Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP), Reemployment Priority List (RPL), or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP): Visit the OPM website for information on how to apply as a CTAP, RPL, or ICTAP eligible. To exercise selection priority for this vacancy, CTAP/RPL/ICTAP candidates must meet the basic eligibility requirements and all selective factors. CTAP/ICTAP candidates must be rated and determined to be well qualified based on an evaluation of the following competencies: Computer Skills, Database Management Systems, Economic Research, and Written Communication
. To be well-qualified, applicants must possess experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position and must be proficient in most of the requirements of the job.
Recruitment Incentive may be authorized. Final determination to pay an incentive will be made by the hiring official at time of job offer.
Recruitment incentive in the amount of $16,000 may be made available to those that meet eligibility requirements.Travel and relocation expenses will not be paid by the Department of Agriculture. Any travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the selected employee.Selections made under this authority will be processed as new appointments to the civil service. Current civil service employees would therefore be given a new appointment to the civil service.
If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you will be placed under a career development plan, and may be non-competitively promoted if you successfully complete the requirements and if recommended by management. However, promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit Agreement.