Director of Development
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association requires all new employees to present proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 when they start work. Currently, “fully vaccinated” is defined as someone that has received both doses of the Pfizer/Moderna COVID-19 vaccines or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine 14 days or more before they begin work. Individuals with a disability or a religious reason preventing them from taking the vaccine may request an accommodation.
The purpose of this position is to develop, execute, and evaluate a comprehensive fundraising and advancement program for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donor gifts to benefit the charitable mission of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation.
The position is responsible for planning, directing and implementing a multi-year, multifaceted development strategy to raise funds and awareness of the ASHFoundation. The ASHFoundation is a mature organization, with an established multi-stream fundraising program that includes annual gift, major gift, recurring giving, planned giving, event, and corporate sponsorship. This is an opportunity for a skilled development professional to bring additional layers of sophistication and creativity to an already solid and high-performing fundraising office.
Key responsibilities include leading the development team in the strategic expansion of the ASHFoundation’s base of support using strong relationship management strategies. Building on the existing fundraising plan, the Director of Development will expand and enhance capacity in collaboration with the Executive Director, President, Board of Trustees and leadership and participate in strategic planning. S/he will work to help diversify and grow the organization’s revenue streams, by establishing a program of best practices and identifying and developing the critical processes required to increase the number/type of individual, corporate and organizational donors and their levels of support for the organization.
- Conceptualize, plan and execute development strategies undertaken by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation, including design and writing of donor and donor prospect communications; identification and cultivation of new donors; organizational liaison for planned giving and corporate relations; and management of related special events. Develop project timelines, monitor budgets, schedules, and deliverables; develop project documentation, evaluations, and reports.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with donors and prospects, particularly major and planned giving donors, through ongoing in-person, written communications, events, and public presentations with a goal of stewarding existing commitments, and cultivating new ones.
- Develop the infrastructure and support functions, including: oversight of fundraising database and donor tracking system; establishment of fundraising targets; monitoring and evaluating results and cost-effectiveness.
- Oversee administrative personnel involved in gift processing, data entry, and account reconciliations.
- Provide strategic leadership for communication functions related to development, working in collaboration with communications and other affiliated association staff. Develop and deliver consistent brand messaging across a variety of traditional and new media to build engagement within the organization’s charitable community.
- Serve as a liaison to the ASHFoundation Board’s Development Committee. Facilitate, organize, and support volunteers to cultivate, solicit, and steward donors. Serve as a liaison to the ASHFoundation’s volunteer co-chairs of the University Giving Program – facilitate, organize and support volunteers to recruit new program ambassadors, as well as cultivate and solicit donors. Support Board of Trustees meetings, annual convention and other meeting-related activities, and other public information efforts as defined.
- Stay informed about current trends and resources pertaining to state of the art fundraising, methodology, measurement, and serve as a resource to inform the ASHFoundation’s fundraising initiatives and educate volunteers to enhance their fundraising roles and activities.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- Minimum of BS/BA degree
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in fundraising, marketing, or a related field.
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Proven track record in fund raising, preferably with conceptualizing, designing, and implementing a variety of fundraising initiatives.
- Proven track record in marketing and communications with preferred experience in both traditional and electronic media
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial accounting, reporting and analysis
- Demonstrated ability with computer operations, including proficiency with word processing and database management and other software systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of the field of communication sciences and disorders is highly desirable, or knowledge in education and healthcare-related fields
- Knowledge and understanding of association foundations is highly desirable.
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, organize, prioritize, monitor, and execute responsibilities with independence
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure in small staff, multi-task work environment
- Demonstrated ability to maintain effective interdepartmental relationships
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to professionally represent the Foundation to internal and external contacts