Under the supervision of the Operational Technologies (OT) Manager, the OT Network Analyst II ensures the stability, reliability, and integrity of Water Production LAN and WAN data communications on operational technology networks at control & Water distribution sites. Provides resolution for break-fix network problems as well as design and implementation to improve LAN/WAN infrastructure and reliability. This individual is the escalation point, including after-hours, for advanced networking related issues. Responsible for design, installation, configuration, maintenance and documentation of network systems and solutions and technical support for Operations and Projects.
Examples of Duties
- Monitor network performance, troubleshoot, and resolve problem areas as needed.
- Upgrade and replace hardware as needed to ensure smooth and reliable operation to meet business objectives.
- Perform system backups, recovery, and comprehensive testing of the backup procedures and backups.
- Anticipate and prepare for potential service disasters and interruptions.
- Document as needed with the assumption you will be unavailable during various outages/disasters and another network engineer will be responding.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, deployment, maintenance, diagrams, processes, and service records.
- Develop, implement, follow, and maintain policies, procedures, and associated plans for network administration.
- Collaborate with department leaders to assess short-term and long-term network needs.
- Determine requirements to meet the needs; appropriately communicate, prioritize, review and test options, document, plan, procure, deploy, monitor, and maintain.
- Research and determine the best reliable and maintainable solutions for Fairfax Water via lab testing to meet clearly defined requirements.
- Design, test, configure, upgrade, document, and deploy LAN and WAN equipment and connections, site-to-site VPNs, including servers for network administration, routers, switches, firewalls, microwave radios, and various WAN circuits.
- Conduct research on network products, security issues, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the water production industry.
- Recommend/Implement solutions to address or improve cybersecurity concerns.
- On-call and needs to respond on-site as needed; typically as a secondary resource for network related issues
- Openly communicate with other team members and share knowledge.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Possession of an associate’s degree in Information Technology (IT), computer science or related field and 4 years of relevant networking experience; Or Possession of a bachelor’s degree in Information Technology (IT), computer science or related field, and 2 years of relevant networking experience; Or 6 years of relevant networking experience.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification or CCNP preferred.
- Proven experience and success with LAN, WAN, and WLAN design and implementation.
- Proven experience with network planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices.
- Expert knowledge of core routing and switching design principles, best practices, and related technologies.
- Experience in implementing and managing both local area and wide area networks.
- Working Experience with Cisco Networking products
- Working technical knowledge of current network hardware, copper and fiber cabling, TCP/IP, Protocols, and Internet standards, including routers, switches, firewalls, site-to-site VPNs, BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, VLAN, RSTP, QoS, BGP, Metro Ethernet, and network attacks.
- Minimum of four years’ experience designing, implementing, managing and supporting enterprise level IP networks.
- Able to produce and maintain technical documents (e.g. Visio diagrams, design documents, Project plans preferably Microsoft Project, knowledge base, and schedules and help desk and user instructions)
- Excellent troubleshooting experience.
- Extensive application support experience with network monitoring and analysis.
- Competence with testing tools and procedures.
- Must be able to climb and work from water tanks.
- Must be able to perform weekend and after hour support.