The Instructional Assistant I: Student Attendant position was created to support specific students whose IEPs indicate a need for more intense supervision and supports. The Instructional Assistant 1 is assigned to a specific student caseload to assist in the supervision and instruction of special needs students under the supervision of a certified special education teacher in the classroom. The Assistant will be responsible for observing and documenting student progress; implementing plans for instruction; following behavior intervention plans; and providing general support as directed by the special education teacher.Qualifications: Education:
48 college credits or an AA degree, or be able to demonstrate college level skills in spelling, reading, writing and math by passing a proficiency test.Certificates & Licenses:
None required. Registered Behavior Technician (RBT) encouraged.Experience:
Job related experience is required.Essential Functions:
- Adapts classroom activities, assignments and/or materials under the direction of the teacher to provide an opportunity for assigned special education students to participate in classroom activities.
- Assists children with disabilities on and off the bus.
- Assists students with breakfast, lunch, snack, clean-up, lavatory, clothing, personal hygiene and wash-up.
- Confers with teachers on a regular basis to assist in evaluating special education student progress and/or implementing IEP objectives.
- Implements academic instruction taught by a teacher for individuals or small groups to meet learning goals, as described by an IEP and/or district benchmarks.
- Implements behavioral plans designed by IEP team for students with behavior disorders or other special conditions to assist in meeting special education students' needs and provide a consistent environment.
- Instructs special education students (e.g. math groups, science experiments, reading, behavioral skills, daily living skills, writing, verbal skills, etc.) to implement goals for remediation of student deficiencies and ensure students' success.
- Maintains instructional materials and/or student files/records (e.g. adapting instructional materials, student files, checking papers, attendance, audio visual equipment, set up art/science projects, etc.).
- Monitors special education students (e.g. lunch, playground, during life enrichment activities, etc.) to ensure a safe and positive learning environment.
- Performs record keeping (daily data on instruction and/or behavior) and clerical functions (e.g. correcting papers, copying, instructional materials, etc.) in support of the teacher.
- Responds to emergency situations (e.g. injured student, fights, etc.) and resolves immediate safety concerns.
- Attends meetings and in-service presentations.
- Assists other personnel in the completion of their work activities.
Public Health Compliance
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Division-Wide Salary Range:
$22,626.05 - $27,822.34 / Instructional Assistant I Shift Type: