The teacher delivers core content and facilitates multilingual learners' ability to effectively perform courses of study in the English language by implementing the district-approved curriculum. The teacher also documents teacher and student progress/activities/outcomes; provides methods to support and/or reinforcing classroom goals in the home; provides a safe and optimal learning environment; develops appropriate lesson plans and instructional techniques; evaluates students' level of English fluency; and provides feedback to students, parents, and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc.
The chosen candidate will work exclusively with English Learners who have recently immigrated to the country. The teacher will work collaboratively with their colleagues to support the students' content, language, and social-emotional development. The academy and our classrooms operate under a collaborative and project-based model. We are looking for a hard-working, dedicated teacher who thrives on teamwork, creativity, and innovation. Our ideal candidate wants to continue to grow as a teacher, is resourceful, and is a reflective practitioner.
This job reports to the Academic Principal for the International Academy.
**Learn more about the English Language Learners Program
For more information about the International Academy, please click on the links below:
Internationals Network for Public Schools: internationalsnetwork.org
Hammond International Academy: http://blogs.acpsk12.org/hammondia/about/
Alexandria City High School International Academy: https://www.acps.k12.va.us/Page/1814 QualificationsEducation:
Bachelor's degree; Master's degree preferred. Certificates & Licenses:
Valid Virginia Department of Education license in the Middle School/High School Science (biology, chemistry, earth science, etc.) content area with a strong preference of holding an endorsement in ELL/ESL or eligibility to obtain one. Valid Virginia Department of Education license required or eligibility to obtain one. Key Competencies
- Demonstrated experience and/or understanding of best practices for the instruction of English Language learners, including but not limited to differentiated instruction, hands-on and cooperative learning activities, and integrated content area and language development.
- Demonstrated understanding of and/or experience in developing and implementing comprehensive units of instruction that include inquiry-based performance assessments aligned to content standards, integrated language tasks, collaborative learning activities, detailed assessment and feedback plans, and culturally relevant tasks.
- Experience and/or willingness to use ongoing formative assessments and to monitor and analyze the data to drive instruction, differentiate for all students, and increase student achievement.
- Willingness to integrate technology in the classroom.
- Experience and/or willingness to collaborate with colleagues to design and deliver an effective advisory program that supports the diverse needs of every student.
- Success in classroom management, relationship building, and a commitment to student-centered learning.
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, students, families, and external partners, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of the social-emotional needs of adolescent language learners and how to support those needs in their classrooms.
- Instruct students to improve their success in academic, interpersonal, and daily living skills through a defined course of study.
- Collaborate in discipline and interdisciplinary planning, emphasizing project-based learning and student collaboration.
- Adapt curriculum and unit planning to include the integration of English literacy and language learning into content-area instruction.
- Lead curriculum-based classes that are student-centered, collaborative, involve experiential learning, are differentiated, and integrate content and language instruction.
- Practice an open-door policy and develop best practices to facilitate professional growth and collaboration, including participation in inter-visitations.
- Initiate partnerships and mentoring relations to enhance school experiences and develop external learning experiences. Collaborate with a guidance team around student social-emotional needs and academic progress.
- Lead an advisory group that includes coordinating and implementing team-building activities and an advisory curriculum.
- Work within a non-traditional organizational structure that meets the needs of Multilingual Learners
- Participate in team and interdisciplinary planning meetings.
- Attend and actively participate in professional development.
- Adapts classroom work to provide students with instructional materials that address individualized learning plans within established lesson plans.
- Administers developmental testing programs, subject specific assessments, etc., to assess student competency levels and/or develop individual learning plans.
- Advises parents and/or legal guardians of student progress to communicate expectations and student's achievements; develops methods for improvement and/or reinforces classroom goals in the home environment.
- Assesses student progress towards objectives, expectations, and/or goals to provide feedback to students, parents, and administration.
- Collaborates with instructional staff, other school personnel, parents, and a variety of community resources to improve the overall quality of student outcomes and achieve established classroom objectives in support of the school improvement plan.
- Counsels students to improve performance, health status, problem-solving techniques, and various personal issues.
- Directs assistant teachers, student teachers, instructional assistants, volunteers, and/or student workers to provide an effective classroom program and address the needs of individual students.
- Manages student behavior to provide a safe and optimal learning environment.
- Monitors students in a variety of educational environments (e.g., classroom, playground, field trips, etc.) to provide a safe and positive learning environment.
- Participates in a variety of meetings to convey and/or gather information required to perform functions.
- Prepares a variety of written materials (e.g., grades, attendance, anecdotal records, etc.) to document student progress and meet mandated requirements.
- Reports incidents (e.g., fights, suspected child abuse, suspected substance abuse, etc.) to maintain the personal safety of students, provide a positive learning environment, and adhere to the Education Code and school policies.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Public Health Compliance
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Alexandria, VA Salary Range:
Teachers and Other Licensed Staff Salary Scale (http://www.acps.k12.va.us/hr/compensation/) Shift Type: