This is an exciting time to join the Fairfax Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office, as the office embarks on the ambitious criminal justice reform agenda amidst the ongoing national conversation on race and the legacy of racism in the criminal justice system. After taking office in January 2020, Commonwealth’s Attorney Descano’s initiatives have included restructuring the office to produce accountability around reforms, issuing a comprehensive policy to address mass incarceration, and the formulation of a Justice Advisory Council, among others. His passion for reform and creating an atmosphere of diversity and fairness within the office has prompted the offices to seek team members with a passion for criminal justice reform and working to address racial and socioeconomic disparities in the local justice system. The Office seeks to foster a culture of inclusion and diversity, with team members who are eager to take meaningful action to spearhead and institutionalize equity initiatives.
Under direction, assists with planning, organizing and administrating public affairs and departmental communications program for a primary criminal justice mission, i.e. prosecutors, paralegals, administrative staff, legal investigators. Provides assistance and support for a wide array of communications activities, including but not limited to: media relations, special events, press conferences, livestreaming events, community relations, assists with management of department website, social media accounts, e-newsletter and other duties as required.
Must be creative, goal oriented, and mission-driven to provide high level of quality content and positive attention to the office and its programs. Duties will involve the use of a computer to access, develop and maintain content for social media sites and department website. Digital communications experience required. Will also help others with computer-related work in clerical and administrative duties of a legal nature and related work as required. HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a resume by e-mail directly to Benjamin.Shnider@fairfaxcounty.gov
by the advertised closing date.Illustrative Duties
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Provides hardware and software support of PC's and network/telecommunications system infrastructure equipment;
- Installs, configures, upgrades, and troubleshoots problems related to hardware, software, and other equipment;
- Responds to calls from users;
- Troubleshoots Level 1 problems related to any aspect of network/telecommunications systems and PC's;
- Diagnoses, tracks, resolves, and documents problems;
- Serves as initial point-of-contact with vendors to solve problems;
- Identifies and resolves hardware, software, communications, and networking problems related to end-user computing; may maintain and repair communication lines, routers, and software;
- Schedules and coordinates preventative maintenance on computer and peripheral equipment;
- Installs, configures and tests new and updated releases of end-user software systems and computing equipment;
- Advises, trains, and assists users on how best to utilize system and ensures installation of desktop hardware and software according to established standards;
- Trains and cross-trains fellow employees on system operations and usage;
- Performs password and other various levels of security support on systems;
- Analyzes statistics and writes reports on system events and performance;
- Creates and manages databases, procedures, and documentation, including equipment inventory of utilized and spare equipment.
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Knowledge of communications protocol and standards;
- Knowledge of personal computers and personal computer software application packages and development products;
- Identifies system problems and recommends possible solutions;
- Corrects and tests software and hardware problems;
- Knowledge of personal computer and network/telecommunication architecture;
- Knowledge of data communication principles;
- Ability to communicate technical ideas clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to train and provide support to computer users;
- Ability to perform personal computer system troubleshooting on both software and hardware problems;
- Ability to implement or coordinate equipment repairs and solve software problems;
- Ability to read and interpret technical manuals used in the assembly, installation, repair, and operation of data communications equipment;
- Ability to maintain records and write reports.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”)
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to graduation from high school; plus three years of experience in installing, configuring, and troubleshooting of personal computers, network/telecommunications systems; or possession of an associate degree in computer science, or related field, and one year similar experience.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.
- The appointee to the position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Must have extensive knowledge on installation and configuration of IT hardware and software. Extensive knowledge on all Microsoft Word applications, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, FoxIt.
Duties are generally sedentary, performed in a normal office environment. Must be able to carry at least 20 pounds. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
May include a panel interview and practical exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.