Position Number: 127944
Payroll Title: Coordinator
Functional Title: Career Advisor
Category: Exempt Contingent Category 2
Location: The Universities at Shady Grove, Rockville, MD 20850
Posting Date: 01/07/2023
Best Consideration Date: 01/31/2023
The Universities at Shady Grove (USG) is a unique, highly successful regional higher education center developed as a part of the University System of Maryland. The campus offers more than 80 undergraduate and graduate degree programs from nine Maryland public universities on one convenient campus in Montgomery County. USG helps prepare students for rewarding careers in the region’s most high-demand fields. Students who complete their coursework on the USG campus graduate with a degree from one of its nine partner universities. Through on-campus services such as academic coaching, career advising, internship preparation, personal counseling, and leadership training, students leave the USG campus with the academic skills and real-world experiences needed for successful careers.
USG is located in Rockville, Maryland – a popular and growing area in the heart of Montgomery County. This area is highly sought after for employment and housing due to its strong economic base and proximity to Washington DC, historical monuments, arts and culture, and government agencies. Montgomery County, MD, is positioned as a regional powerhouse and global magnet for talent and business across industries.
Position assigned to the Universities at Shady Grove (USG) located in Rockville, Maryland.
The student Career Advisor provides student support services and performs academic outreach. This position plays a fundamental role, collaborating with academic partners, faculty, and the regional business community to deliver career readiness support to students at USG. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, career coaching and consultation for undergraduate and graduate students, implementation of experiential learning programs, identification and coordination of professional development activities for students, quantitative and qualitative assessment and reporting, coordination and presentation of workshops and group career development activities, event planning, outreach to USG’s academic partners, and development of programs and services tailored to hubs and industry clusters at USG.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university Experience:
Minimum of two years of professional, full-time equivalent experience related to advising diverse youth populations, or related to the development, implementation, or management of career readiness programing such as mentoring programs, engaged learning, or experiential learning.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to provide career coaching and consultation.
- Ability to develop career readiness programming, project management, and related event planning.
- Skills in written and oral communications, including public speaking; skilled in interpersonal communication, consistent with counseling and building developmentally supportive relationships with students.
- Skilled in customer service.
- The ability to handle a fast-paced work environment.
- The ability to successfully navigate in a higher education environment.
- The ability to manage direct services and programming for undergraduate and graduate students, as well as other constituents.
- Understanding of career readiness competencies, general employment guidelines and trends, employer hiring and human resources processes, and regional workforce needs.
- An understanding of the policies, practices, and procedures involved in a career services operation in a university environment, including knowledge of business and industry opportunities.
- Knowledge and understanding of strategic planning, development of learning outcomes, and both qualitative and quantitative assessment.
- Master’s degree with an emphasis on counseling, higher education, student affairs, workforce development, business management, or human resources preferred.
- Experience in the areas of strategy implementation, service delivery, project management, performance management, strategic partnerships, or talent management.
- Previous experience with the University System of Maryland, its partner institutions, regional higher education centers, or other college/university setting.
- Some experience with STEM populations, graduate/professional students, nontraditional students, veterans, or other special populations.
- Previous experience with or understanding of the Montgomery County and State of Maryland regional business communities.
- Career Coaching certification issued by NACE, PARW/CC, NCDA, ICF, or another professionally recognized certifying agency preferred.
- This is a contractual – Contingent II position.
- This position is located in Rockville, MD
- Regional travel to partner institutions, employer sites, workforce and community events, and other meetings required. Limited travel to regional and national conferences also required.
- Ability to work some evening and occasional Saturday hours also required.
Professional working environment. Light lifting, event set up, and the ability to transport and set up of materials to and from various events (outreach events, employer events, community events, etc.) both on and off-campus required.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please visit: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/103034