Center 1 (19052), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Senior Counsel, Senior Manager - Financial Crimes Capital One's Legal Department is seeking a highly-motivated attorney to serve as a senior counsel in its Regulatory Legal practice. In this role, you will serve as a legal advisor principally on matters relating to anti-money laundering (AML), economic sanctions, and anti-bribery and corruption, but may also advise on other areas of law such as payments and/or consumer protection law. You will work with colleagues across Capital One's lines of business, as well as with compliance officers, auditors, and regulators and you'll do it all in a collaborative, supportive environment that values your insight, promotes continuous learning, and rewards creative thinking.
To succeed in this role, you should have a solid command of US AML laws and regulations and ideally some experience with OFAC sanctions and anti-bribery and corruption laws such as the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Bank Bribery Act. You should have some experience advising on complex and highly-regulated matters where the law and environment are unclear and evolving. Experience working in a financial crimes compliance or legal role at a financial institution, law firm, or government agency is preferred.
Experience with other areas of bank regulatory or consumer protection law is a plus --- particularly experience advising on legal issues regarding payments and familiarity with the Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA), Regulation E, and National Automated Clearing House Association (NACHA) rules.
A successful candidate will also have a demonstrated ability and willingness to work as a results-oriented team player, interacting with attorneys and other colleagues across departments and job levels; the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with limited supervision; strong organizational skills with impeccable attention to detail; excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills; and the ability to work cooperatively with internal constituents to create efficient processes and to get issues resolved across organizational boundaries and levels. Job Responsibilities:
- Provide timely, accurate and cost-effective legal advice within a diversified financial holding company with a broad spectrum of financial products and services
- Counsel product development and risk management teams to ensure that innovative products, services and channels fully consider and integrate AML/OFAC/FCPA-related obligations and controls
- Partner with Business Risk Offices and Compliance Department to identify and address any AML/OFAC/FCPA-related compliance issues with ongoing operations
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of business needs, effective assessment of potential risk exposure, and the ability to balance the two
- Provide legal support in anticipation of and during supervisory exams and audits, including drafting or reviewing responses as necessary
- Engage with industry trade associations to ensure Capital One's concerns and priorities are reflected in association efforts
- Support Compliance Department, Business Risk Offices, Lines of Business, and Audit in interpreting and implementing new rules, guidance and enforcement actions
- Brief executives on risks, concerns, risk mitigation strategies, and resource prioritization decisions
- Engage and manage outside counsel
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- At least 3 years of experience as an attorney in a law firm, in-house legal department, or government agency
- At least 2 years of AML compliance or legal experience at a law firm, financial institution, or government agency
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
- Experience in OFAC matters, including interpretation, consultation, administrative subpoena processing, and drafting voluntary self-disclosures
- Experience in FCPA matters or managing or advising an anti-bribery and corruption compliance program
- Experience with EFTA, Regulation E and NACHA rules
- Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret legislation and regulations
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, assume new responsibilities, and prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Strong writing and communication skills to deal with internal and external parties, including ability to communicate persuasively orally and in writing with senior executives
- Experience writing for and interacting with examiners and auditors
- Ability to work effectively both in teams and independently
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).