Executive Director – ODI America
Location: based in Washington DC
Competitive Salary and Reward Package
An exciting role leading ODI’s engagement in the United States and its neighbourhood
ODI is an independent, global think tank. We work to inspire people to act on injustice and inequality. Through research, convening and influencing, we generate ideas that matter for people and planet.
We lead thinking and agendas to deliver transformational change and bring about a sense of resilient, just, and equitable prosperity - odi.org
About the position
This is a unique opportunity to join ODI in a senior role connecting our ideas, innovation and advisory experience to American debates on international engagement.
As Executive Director of ODI America, you will lead the establishment of an ODI office in Washington DC, representing ODI in the United States and neighbouring countries, promoting ODI’s research and expertise, advising ODI colleagues and partners on US and Canada policy-making and driving ODI’s engagement with key US-based stakeholders, including government agencies, think tanks, organs of the United Nations, foreign embassies and private foundations, as well as engaging relevant stakeholders in neighbouring countries.
We are looking for an experienced leader with a strong track record in American policy-making and a keen business sense to deliver an inspiring and sustainable vision for ODI America.
- Provide strategic direction and leadership for ODI America.
- Lead and manage ODI America staff, developing an effective team and upholding ODI’s values.
- Drive business development and financial sustainability/performance for ODI America.
- Set strategic direction and horizon scanning on key policy areas.
- Influence policy and lead ODI’s engagement with key US-based stakeholders.
Knowledge, qualifications and experience
- A degree and post-graduate qualification in a relevant discipline.
- Substantial professional experience in global policy issues, external affairs, international partnerships and related areas.
- Recognised expertise on US-based institutions and policy-making and demonstrated thought leadership on global policy challenges and opportunities.
- Proven experience influencing key decision-makers from political and policy spheres, across a number of thematic areas.
- Outstanding representation, relationship-building and public speaking skills.
- Extensive existing networks and relationships with US-based foundations and US government funding agencies.
- Excellent, highly entrepreneurial organisational skills, and a strong interest in establishing a new organisation/presence. Extensive knowledge of US funding norms, processes and procedures.
- Track record of successful business development for research, policy and advisory work, and a proven ability to build and manage programmes.
- Senior-level management experience of programmes, strategic and operational plans and finances. Experience managing a remote/hybrid team, including across time zones.
- Values-driven and exceptional integrity, including ensuring a safe working environment and equal opportunities for all.
The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Competitive salary depending on experience, qualifications and location.
Part of a generous remuneration package (including benefits such as complementary pension scheme/contribution as percentage of annual salary, allowances/benefits package appropriate to the location of the role, as well as generous leave entitlement and enhanced maternity, paternity and family-friendly policies.)
The workplace will be Washington DC: applicants must be able to work and reside in the US.
Closing date for applications: 31 January 2023
Interview date: TBC
ODI is committed to developing and supporting diverse and inclusive teams of people who share our passion, where we can all be ourselves and succeed on merit. We welcome applicants from a range of diverse backgrounds including those who experience intersectional marginalisation on the basis of their class, race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religious identity or belief, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity. We also welcome applications from those living with disabilities.
To apply for the role, or view more information including the job description please:
If you are experiencing any difficulties, please telephone +44 0207 922 0383 or email email@example.com
ODI is an equal opportunities employer
Charity Reg. No.228248