is currently seeking a Water Resource Engineer
for our Resilience Solutions
team in our Denver, CO
or Fairfax, VA
Building resilience is now an integrated part of community and government decision making process. It includes, among other tasks, continuous assessment of infrastructure, which has resulted in developing resilience strategies, operation plans, proactive investment, and policy decisions to reduce loss of lives, costs, and socioeconomic impacts of future disasters. Dewberry's Resilience Solutions Group is leading numerous efforts in planning, scoping, and executing resilience projects across the country. We have multiple water resources engineering positions with a clear focus on infrastructure and climate resilience. We are looking for engineers interested in performing vulnerability analysis and risk assessments for transportation assets, as well as other gray, green and blue infrastructures using cutting edge science and tools. The successful candidate will collaborate with our Computational Science and Informatics team to develop virtual environments, where their analyses will come to life through sophisticated visualization techniques. They will also work with our experienced GIS analysts, coastal scientists, and resilience planners on a variety of multi-disciplinary projects that require geospatial and engineering analyses; projects such as watershed assessments, resilience planning, and flood risk analysis.
Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you're an experienced professional or a new graduate, you'll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call "Dewberry at Work," that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
This is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic and talented individual to join a team of outstanding professionals. This position offers potential for professional growth in a great working environment and the opportunity to apply the latest technology to assist our clients in solving their most challenging problems.
Dewberry offers a wide range of other employee benefits, including: 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan, 529 College Savings Plans, Travel Assistance, Tuition Reimbursement, Flexible Spending Accounts and Supplemental Life Insurance for employee, spouse, and children.
In addition, a host of discounted purchase programs are available to all employees.
- Provide engineering support on a diverse range of water resources and climate resiliency projects for federal, state, and municipal clients.
- Support resiliency plans for Departments of Transportation and other transportation authorities.
- Use commercial and open-source modeling software to simulate riverine and coastal flood hazard, rainfall-runoff, 2D rain-on-grid, and storm water network.
- Use established methods to model the impacts of projected future climate and land use.
- Research and develop hazard mitigation policy and design solutions for local, state, and federal clients.
- Use models to evaluate different courses of action such as different flood mitigation strategies or water quality best management practices.
- Use GIS to pre-process model inputs, post-process model results, and analyze data.
- Run and help develop python script to automate model workflows.
- Collaborate with engineering team to document standard operating procedures and build a community of practice.
- Write technical reports and developing presentations for non-technical and technical audiences
- Keeping abreast of latest science in the area of climate and flood risk-resilience and the ability to evaluate/apply emerging methods
Required Skills & Required Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Civil/Environmental/Water Resources Engineering
- Experience in environmental/infrastructure modeling (hydrology, meteorology, coastal/riverine flood hazards, storm water networks)
- Climate change risk/resiliency subject matter experience
- Proficiency in GIS and geospatial analytics
- Familiarity with a scripting language for data processing (Python/R)
- Strong analytical and desktop research skills and ability to think strategically
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to deliver effective presentations and written reports
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work independently with strong organization skills
- Ability to monitor progress and schedule for all tasks
Must have a valid driver's license, good driving record and ability to pass a driving record background check. The projected range for this position is $75,000-$90,000 annually; specifically for our Denver, CO offices. Depending upon other factors, i.e., skills, experience, location, market conditions, the range may vary slightly. Don't meet every single requirement? At Dewberry we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace for our employee's. So if you're excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the position description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may just be the right candidate for this or other opportunities.
- Advanced degree in a related field
- 3+ years of experience performing climate vulnerability and risk assessments and climate adaptation modeling and research studies/projects
- Experience working with Departments of Transportation and other transportation authorities.
- CFM and/or EIT
*At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
*Dewberry is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
* Only recipients of an offer of employment from Dewberry, will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These screenings will be conducted by Dewberry's background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.