As an Emergency Management Specialist (Recovery Coordinator) at the GS-0089-13 for ODA Headquarters (HQ), some of your typical work assignments may include:
- Performing substantive mission work and providing expert advice on complex recovery issues to high-ranking and professional staff as well as emergency management partners engaged in supporting disaster recovery for communities and individuals.
- Applying a wide range of emergency management knowledge and skills to providing expert advice, guidance, and policy interpretation on a substantial number of recovery issues, many of which are complex, controversial, and precedent setting.
- Utilizing their expertise in post-disaster recovery economic recovery issues to build coalitions and derive actionable outcomes for interdisciplinary teams at the HQ or field levels.
- Planning and/or conducting various studies and evaluation activities and implements management improvements in administrative areas identified through such means as internal control reviews, and management studies.
- Serving as an expert in the recovery emergency management functional area providing advice and guidance on the delivery of disaster recovery programs and services.
- Performing technical writing functions, requiring substantial knowledge of the various areas of emergency management and of the specialized terminology needed.
- Monitoring expenditures and funds sources to assure that funds are available as needed.
RequirementsConditions of Employment
- This position is not covered by a bargaining unit.
- Mandatory Overtime: In order to respond quickly and efficiently to disaster survivors, substantial compensated overtime hours may be required while on assignment (up to seven days a week and twelve to fourteen hours a day).
- By applying for this position with SBA's Office of Disaster Assistance, you can enjoy challenging but satisfying work and join a highly motivated and diverse team that helps families and businesses rebuild their lives after a disaster.
- Additional selections may be made from this announcement if identical vacancies occur within 180 days from the closing date.
- U.S. citizenship is required.
- You must be able to obtain and maintain a Government travel credit card.
- Credit Score must be at least 500.
- You may be required to complete a one-year probationary period.
- This position is not covered by a bargaining unit.
Generally, time in Non-Pay
status is not creditable towards the specialized experience requirement listed below.You must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
You may qualify based on experience.Experience:
To receive credit, you must indicate the month and year
as well as the average hours worked per week
for each employer. Average work hours
must be stated on the resume to quantify each period of work experience or that experience will not be credited toward meeting the specialized experience requirement.
You must address the specific specialized experience
required for each grade level of this position on your resume or application or you will be rated "Ineligible"
for that grade level.GS-13
: To qualify you must have at least 1 full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent
in difficulty and complexity to the GS-12 level in the Federal service that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skill, and ability to perform successfully in this position. This experience may have been gained in a Non-Federal service position. In addition, this Specialized Experience must demonstrate the following:
EducationGS-13: There is no education substitution for this grade.
- Extensive knowledge of emergency management and related directives, policies, regulations, procedures, methods, and laws;
- Broad knowledge of the eligibility criteria for the full range of disaster assistance programs administered by a Federal agency, State and local governments, and voluntary relief organizations; and
- Proficiency in analytical and evaluative methods used in determining the extent of compliance with rules and regulations or in measuring and evaluating program accomplishments.
Emergency Management Series 0089 (opm.gov) Additional information
SUITABILITY, CLEARANCE & REQUIREMENTS: A background investigation may be required for all new hires. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
SELECTIVE SERVICE: If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law. For additional information visit www.sss.gov .
Additional vacancies may be filled from this vacancy announcement if additional vacancies occur within 180 days of the date the certificates were issued.
If selected for this position, you will be eligible for benefits. The above link is provided for your reference to explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees.
Reasonable Accommodation Requests: If you believe you have a disability (i.e., physical or mental), covered by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended and Americans with Disabilities Act 1990 as amended, that would interfere with completing the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, you will be granted the opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation in your online application. Requests for Reasonable Accommodations for the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments and appropriate supporting documentation for Reasonable Accommodation must be received prior to starting the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. Decisions on requests for Reasonable Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis. If you meet the minimum qualifications of the position, after notification of the adjudication of your request, you will receive an email invitation to complete the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. You must complete all assessments within 48 hours of receiving the URL to access the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, if you received the link after the close of the announcement. To determine if you need a Reasonable Accommodation, please review the Procedures for Requesting a Reasonable Accommodation for Online Assessments here: