DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING
Director of Engineering
The Director is responsible for providing leadership support, vision, and planning for the engineering activities of the optical/switched/routed layers of the MAX regional network and enhanced services, the design organization, planning, and implementation of UMD’s enterprise cutting-edge technology HPC resources, and the design, guidance, and implementation of the DNS root service.
This position provides managerial oversight for the operation and maintenance of the MAX all-optical 100G to 400G DWDM network, the University’s enterprise HPC resources, the DNS root service, and Quantum networking resources. The MAX network spans the mid-Atlantic region and currently encompasses 14 Points of Presence (PoPs) from Baltimore to Virginia.
Responsibilities include engineering and operations planning, design, costing, procuring, and implementation of current and next-generation infrastructures including maintenance and support for DWDM optical equipment, HPC, DNS root service, Quantum technologies, dark fiber, routers, switches, and physical plant. Additionally, the position will involve the architecture of the MAX ScienceDMZ facility and integrating forward-looking technologies of the MAX research infrastructure into production offerings.
Other responsibilities will include establishing strategic relationships with vendors; collaborating closely with Internet2, technology leaders in other Regional Optical Networks (RONs) and national networks, and peers across the University System of Maryland (USM), the State of Maryland, assessing and understanding the MAX participant community’s advanced cyberinfrastructure needs and collaborating with the associated regional and national networks; managing ten engineers; project planning and implementation; using advanced analytics, CRM data and business intelligence to increase efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of MAX services; instituting appropriate controls, processes, and best practices. This Director will be expected to attend and represent MAX at conferences, including Super Computing, Internet2, Quilt, and other related technology conferences and seminars.
Bachelor’s degree in Telecommunications, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
- Five years of people management experience and the ability to lead, manage and motivate staff.
- Ten years of progressive experience in Information Technology, with system experience in core networking design and implementation over the WAN.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Managerial skills in planning, organizing, evaluating, and delegating.
- Demonstrated success in leading and managing technical units, and experience with developing budgets.
- Ability to establish and implement a vision for the network engineering unit in a continuously changing environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff.
- Technical competency in the areas of high-performance networking and fiber optic infrastructure.
- A Master’s degree in Telecommunications, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Ability to develop and execute technology strategies and programs, and apply new and emerging technologies to the unit.
- Experience with DWDM optical equipment, HPC, DNS service, Quantum technologies, dark fiber, routers, switches, and physical plant.
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, staff, administrators, and constituents outside the University; and represent the University at local, state, regional, and national forums.
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage designed to help you and your family live a healthy lifestyle.
- Flexible work opportunities
- UMCP Tuition Remission for employees, and their dependents to grow and achieve greatness.
- Generous paid time off package to address work/life balance and maintain well-being.
- Retirement Benefits created to aid employees in reaching future retirement goals.
- And many more… [uhr.umd.edu]
Salary range is in the $173,000 – $180,000.
**This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Some periods of time may be spent in computer rooms and communications equipment spaces. Some work may require moving and lifting heavy communications equipment.
Best consideration date: 01/04/2023 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/102403
Vaccine protocol: The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu [ejobs.umd.edu] and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Background Check: Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.