DutiesAs a Materials Handler Supervisor, WS-6907-05, you will perform the below duties:
(1) Planning: Plans use of subordinate workers, equipment, facilities, and materials on a week-to-week or project to project basis. Adhere to work priorities, project schedules, resources, and detailed work plans established by higher level supervisors. Reacts to variations in the workplace and maintains a balance workload between subordinates. Follow customary work cycles and sequences in planning work assignments. Track and report progress on work assignments and request authority to adjust worker assignments and to use overtime, equipment, and materials to meet schedules. Recommend changes to schedules, priorities, and work sequences as necessary and make minor deviations in procedures or redirect resources under their control to overcome problems such as equipment failure, material delays, or unplanned absences.
(2) Work Direction: Assigns work to individuals and provides technical direction and/or help in accomplishing difficult work steps and processes. Observe work in progress to anticipate and resolve problems within groups supervised, and coordinate work among workers and other supervisors to maintain work progress to meet schedules. Inspect completed work for quality and work order requirements. Report possible or actual work delays to their supervisors.
(3) Administration: Support and explain management problems to their subordinates. Recommend performance ratings, training, disciplinary actions, changes in performance standards, and the most suitable applicants for vacancies. Advise and counsel workers on how to improve their performance and explain new work techniques. Investigate grievances and complaints, resolve them informally, and notify supervisors of those of sufficient importance or seriousness. Maintain work reports and records and assist supervisors in planning overall leave schedules. Makes formal appraisals of subordinate work performance. Initiates recommendations for promotion or reassignment of subordinates. Ensures that regulations governing safety and housekeeping are observed with appropriate protective clothing and equipment being utilized.
(4) Performs non-supervisory work, such as, transporting equipment, performing maintenance tasks, etc.
(5) Develops, publishes, and ensures employee compliance with standing operating procedures for the activity supervised. Implements and complies with agency, state, and federal regulatory Occupational Safety and Health, and environmental requirements. Ensures use of quality conformant products through compliance with established materials shelf life programs. Ensures all aspects of Force Protection to include physical security, facility and vehicle key control, property accountability, access control and employee protection in accordance with established policies and regulations. Implements procedures to account for all real property, installation property, MTO&E (Modified Tables of Organization and Equipment) property, TDA (Tables of Distribution and Allowances) property, and installed equipment located at or assigned to the facility in accordance with state and federal regulations and policies. Ensures subordinates are trained, qualified, and equipped with proper personnel protective equipment, environmental mediation equipment and materials. Ensure the employees wear appropriate safety equipment and follow pertinent safety precautions.
(6) Prepares for and participates in various types of readiness evaluations, inspections, mobilization and command support exercises. May be required to perform such additional duties as structural fire fighting, aircraft fire/crash/rescue duty, security guard, snow removal, munitions loading and handling, heavy equipment operation, maintenance of facilities and equipment, or to serve as a team member on boards to cope with natural disasters or civil emergencies.
(7) Performs other duties as assigned. RequirementsConditions of Employment
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
- You must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Per Centers for Disease Control, you are considered fully vaccinated 14 days after the final dose in your vaccination series.
- You must provide proof of vaccination, or an approved medical/religious exemption (or application) at orientation.
Qualifications are based on breadth/level of experience. In addition to describing duties performed, applicants must provide the exact dates of each period of employment (from MM/DD/YY to MM/DD/YY) and the number of hours worked per week if part time. As qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, failure to provide this information may result in disqualification. Applicants are encouraged to use the USAJOBS Resume Builder to develop their federal resume. For a brief video on How to Create a Federal Resume.WHO CAN APPLY:
- All qualified Male/Female Enlisted Member (E5/SGT - E6/SSG) currently employed (permanent) in the Virginia Army National Guard Military Technician Program. GROUP II
- All qualified Virginia Army National Guard Male/Female Enlisted Member (E5/SGT - E6/SSG), regardless of employment status (Traditional, Military Technician or AGR). To be considered as a Group II applicant, proof of appointment/enlistment in the Virginia National Guard must be attached if the appointment/enlistment occurred within 60 days prior to, or during, the advertisement period. GROUP III
- Individuals eligible for membership in the Virginia Army National Guard.Military Grades
: Enlisted Member (E5/SGT - E6/SSG) GENERAL EXPERIENCE
: Experience or training with supervising workers, either directly or through subordinate leaders, in accomplishing the operations of a distinct organizational unit SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE :
Applicant must have at least 36 months of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the WS-04 level, or equivalent pay band in other pay systems in the Federal government? This experience may also have been obtained in the private sector but must demonstrate that it is comparable to the WS grade indicated. This experience must include activities such as: Experience developing, publishing, and ensuring employee compliance with standing operating procedures for the activity supervised. Experience participating in various types of readiness evaluations, inspections, mobilization and command support exercises. Experience assigning work to individuals and provides technical direction and/or help in accomplishing difficult work steps and processes. Experience tracking and reporting progress on work assignments and request authority to adjust worker assignments and to use overtime, equipment, and materials to meet schedules. Additional information
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency ( Register | Selective Service System : Selective Service System (sss.gov) ).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .