RequirementsConditions of Employment
- As the Supervisory Physician, you will be providing technical and administrative guidance and leadership necessary to resolve matters, particularly related to clinical development and medical affairs, which may be controversial and complex, and which may set a general precedent.
- Advising as a subject matter expert on all aspects of clinical product development for medical countermeasures requirements addressing chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear threats (CBRN), pandemic influenza, and emerging infectious disease threats.
- Serving as a liaison on medical countermeasure clinical studies and human subject policies, guidance and issues with HHS agencies, especially FDA, CDC and NIH.
- Developing and contributing to guidance documents and option pages on key issues pertaining to contracts for clinical studies of candidate medical countermeasures.
- Establishing and maintaining a clinical network resource to advancem edical countermeasure research programs; establishing policies and procedures to provide access to these resources.
- Ensuring that the design of such vaccine, drug, biologic, and/or device studies are scientifically valid and that their conduct is ethical and in accord with accepted principles of good medical/public health practices.
- Overseeing and ensuring that deliverables in the clinical development programs of medical countermeasures are met.
- Developing written clinical development plans for the evaluation of the safety, immunogenicity, and cross-protection of pandemic influenza vaccines and adjuvants in the HHS Pre-pandemic Influenza Vaccine Stockpile.
- Participating in technical discussions of study protocols, study populations, statistical power, clinical endpoints, laboratory assays and validation, adverse events, feasibility, robustness and risks associated with clinical development programs.
- Assuring all engaged parties adhere to accepted standards for the protection of human subjects and Good Medical/Public Health practice is supported by contractors.
- Reviewing of clinical development plans in Contractor's or Offeror's technical proposals and Milestone plans.
- Assurance of adherence by all engaged parties to accepted standards for the protection of human subjects and for Good Medical/Public Health Practice supported by contractors.
QualificationsApplicants must demonstrate that they meet the requirements as noted below.Basic Requirement(s): A.
- U.S. Citizenship required
- Registered or exempt from Selective Service (www.sss.gov)
- If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication.
- One year probationary period may be required
- If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System.
- All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choice.
- Financial disclosure statement may be required.
- Bargaining Unit Position: No
- Drug Screening Required: Yes
- Research Position: No
Possess a Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine or equivalent from a school in the United States or Canada. This degree must have been accredited by the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association ; Association of American Medical Colleges ; Liaison Committee on Medical Education ; Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation of the American Osteopathic Association , or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained. (Must provide transcript)ORB.
Possess a Degree from Foreign Medical School: A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school must provide education and medical knowledge equivalent to accredited schools in the United States. Evidence of equivalency to accredited schools in the United States is demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates , a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country, or successful completion of the U.S. Medical Licensing Examination. (Must provide transcript)ANDLicensure:
You must possess a permanent, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. A COPY OF YOUR CURRENT LICENSURE IS REQUIRED WITH YOUR APPLICATION. AND
Possess 5 years of graduate training in internal medicine or its equivalent in experience and training. Graduate training programs include only those internship, residency, and fellowship programs that are approved by accrediting bodies recognized within the United States or Canada. (Given the nature of this assignment, physicians with varying related backgrounds can perform the duties and functions of this position)
An internship program involves broadly based clinical practice in which physicians acquire experience in treating a variety of medical problems under supervision (e.g., internal medicine, surgery, general practice, obstetrics-gynecology, and pediatrics). Such programs are in hospitals or other institutions accredited for internship training by a recognized body of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) .
A residency program involves training in a specialized field of medicine in a hospital or an institution accredited for training in the specialty by a recognized body of the American Medical Association , (AMA) or Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) .
A fellowship program involves advanced training (beyond residency training) in a given medical specialty in either a clinical or research setting in a hospital or an institution accredited in the United States for such training. Documenting Experience:
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Qualifications are based on breadth/level of experience. In addition to describing duties performed, applicants must provide the exact dates of each period of employment (from MM/YY to MM/YY) and the number of hours worked per week if part time. As qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, failure to provide this information may result in disqualification. Applicants are encouraged to use the USAJOBS Resume Builder to develop their federal resume.
Do not copy and paste the duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire from this announcement into your resume as that will not be considered a demonstration of your qualifications for this position.
In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the "percentage of times" the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through national Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to gain employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. If such experience is on a part-time basis, you must provide the average number of hours worked per week as well as the beginning and ending dates of the experience so it can be fully credited.
OPM Qualification General Policies Website
www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-policies/#url=app All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.NOTE
: During the COVID-19 pandemic you may be authorized to telework remotely. The Federal government will begin a phased transition to normal operations in line with the national guidelines to Open Up America Again. HHS will make operating decisions based on State or locality of duty stations and other factors.Education
This position requires specific coursework and/or a degree to meet the basic education requirement. You must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. Your transcript(s) must clearly demonstrate the course(s) listed in the qualification requirement section. If the transcript(s) does not clearly demonstrate this you must submit a copy of the course description and/or other documentation demonstrating that the courses are equivalent.Special Instructions for Foreign Education
: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. Failure to provide such documentation with your application will result in lost consideration. For further information, visit: https://sites.ed.gov/international/recognition-of-foreign-qualifications/ .Additional information
Candidates may be eligible to receive Title 38 Physician and Dentist Pay (PDP), in addition to the regular General Schedule base salary. T38 PDP is determined by BARDA to which you may become employed. The pay range for this position is $120,000 to $280,340. Microsoft Word - PD PAY TABLES 1-8-06.doc (va.gov) INCENTIVES
Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon multiple factors, including funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives may require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives may include the following: moving expenses, recruitment or relocation incentive; student loan repayment, superior qualifications appointment, creditable service for annual leave for prior non-federal work experience or prior uniformed military service, etc.
"All applicants tentatively selected for this position will be required to submit to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment."
In accordance with Executive Order 12564 of September 14, 1986, The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is A Drug-Free Federal Workplace. The use of illegal drugs, on or off duty, by Federal employees is inconsistent not only with the law-abiding behavior expected of all citizens, but also with the special trust placed in such employees as servants of the public.Reasonable Accommodation:
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please see Agency Contact Information for whom to contact for more info. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. You must contact the HR contact on the vacancy announcement at least three business days before the closing date of this announcement to receive assistance. For more information on disability employment, please visit https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/ Selective Service:
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service - http://www.sss.gov Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP):
For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.Political appointment:
Beginning January 1, 2010, agencies must seek prior approval from OPM before they can appoint a current or recent political appointee
to a competitive or non-political excepted service position at any level under the provisions of title 5, United States Code. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, or Non-career SES employee in the executive branch, you MUST
disclose that to the Human Resources Office.
If you are unable to apply online, please go to https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information for more information on our alternate application method.