Assistant Director of Professional Development - ASBMB
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB)
- Rockville, Maryland
- Nov 28, 2022
- Jan 02, 2023
- Associations, Nonprofit
- Career Level
- Manager (Manager / Supervisor of Staff)
- Full Time
The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) is an international nonprofit scientific and educational organization. With over 11,000 members, made up of students, researchers, educators, and industry professionals, the ASBMB is one of the largest molecular life science societies in the world.
The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology is seeking an Assistant Director of Professional Development to lead our professional development strategy that supports the career and professional development journeys of molecular life scientists at every step of their career.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Assistant Director of Professional Development will be responsible for the following:
- Work with the department director to oversee all operational and budget aspects of the ASBMB MOSAIC program Direct the implementation of career development programming to support the transition of postdoctoral scientists into their independent careers Manage the IMAGE grant writing workshop in conjunction with its associated steering committee Identify and implement new programs or resources to meet the professional development needs of various member groups in conjunction with the Education and Professional Development Committee and the Membership Committee Design and direct the career development track at the ASBMB annual meeting including review and selection of member-submitted programming and oversight of internally developed programs Serve as staff liaison to the Women in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Committee and the Education and Professional Development Committee including the co-creation and management of each committee’s strategic plan, execution of committee-led programs, management of committee budgets and reporting of committee progress and initiatives to the ASBMB Council Collaborate with other organizations and serve as ASBMB’s representative in relevant alliances and multi-society initiatives, such as the pd|hub Scientific Societies Working Group and the FASEB Workforce Special Interest Group Develop content related to the department’s programs for the Society’s website, member magazine, and marketing efforts Represent the Society at external meetings (minimal travel) Other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree or Ph.D. in a molecular life science field or related discipline preferred
- Five (5) years’ experience in career and professional development
- Prior experience at a non-profit scientific or higher education organization preferred
- Experience developing education or training programs and associated program evaluation desired
- Proficiency with MS Office and online meeting and webinar platforms
- Familiarity with social media platforms a plus
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to be flexible and work creatively as part of a team or autonomously
This is a full time, exempt position. ASBMB offers exceptional benefits including professional development opportunities, 403-B retirement, medical, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, and free parking are offered.
This position is located in Rockville, Maryland and in walking distance to Metro and on major bus lines. Currently all staff are required to work in the office 3 days per week and work remotely 2 days per week.
For more information and to apply, visit http://www.faseb.org/employment. Please send a cover letter including salary requirements with your resume.
Individuals with disabilities:
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact FASEB’s Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about ASBMB, please visit www.asbmb.org.
ASBMB is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.