As a IT Specialist GS-2210-9/11, you will administer the base Local Area Network (LAN). Implements new network operating systems hardware and software and develops base wide network operating procedures. Analyzes LAN utilization statistics through data collection and performance measures to ensure the smooth, reliable, and robust operation of LANs to include classified and unclassified networks. Coordinates LAN installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and reviews, evaluates, and fine-tunes components such as virtual servers, hubs, switches, and routers to achieve peak efficiency within the overall network connectivity. Assists in the development, configuration, installation, and maintenance of network systems to include the LAN/WAN. Receives network, communications, and related operating systems from various sources such as design centers and commercial vendors. Maintains an inventory of all network hardware and software. Installs, configures, and troubleshoots network and application server hardware, network operating system software, and peripheral network equipment such as routers, bridges, cabling system, network interface cards, modems, multiplexers, and concentrators. Develops and maintains base wide procedures for networks, system operations, backups, and product assembly and installation. Implements network operating system and/or network application software, and maintain contact with software suppliers to ensure that current releases of software products are in use. Conducts testing of network systems to ensure current network software products are compatible with system configurations and to ensure operability, efficiency, and compliance with existing standards. Monitors operation of the LAN/WAN and ensures hardware and network operating software are functioning properly and that operation standards are met. Function tests systems components to identify and resolve technical problems, analyze system malfunctions, implement necessary corrective actions, and provide ongoing support for the resolution of complex problems and operating malfunctions. Performs system backups to ensure expedient restoration of the database for the respective network equipment. Assists customers on the use of office automation computers, local and wide area networks, and other automated tools. Perform other duties as assignedRequirementsConditions of Employment
1. Required to obtain and maintain required information assurance certification IAW DoD 8570.01-M, Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002, Clinger Cohen Act of 1996, and current AF directives.
2. Conducts travel to and from offsite worksite(s) from the normal work area to perform assigned duties. This may include Operating Locations (OL) and GSUs. Due to distances involved, travel may involve one or more overnight stays.
3. Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position.
4. This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
5. Ability to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
6. May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours; overtime may be required.
7. The duties and responsibilities of your job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental responsibilities as dictated by legal and regulatory requirements, your organization, and its changing mission. QualificationsMILITARY REQUIREMENTS: Compatible military grade and assignment required prior to the effective date of placement. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
: TSgt/E6 and belowCompatible Military Assignments
: 1D7X1A GENERAL EXPERIENCE
: Experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of data processing functions and general management principles that enabled the applicant to understand the stages required to automate a work process. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE : GS-09
- Must have at least 24 months experience, education, or training in analysis of the interrelationship of pertinent components of the system. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment. Experience scheduling the sequence of programs to be processed by computers where alternatives had to be weighed with a view to production efficiency.GS-11
and above - Must have at least 36 months experience, education, or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion.Education
At the GS-9 level, a masters or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree may be substituted. At the GS-11 level, a Ph.D. or equivalent, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree.
Graduate Education: Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.You must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your Educational claims. To receive credit for Education, you must provide documentation of proof that you meet the Education requirements for this position.Additional information
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency ( https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx ).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .