Vice President, Corporate Controller Rockville, MD or Remote
The Emmes Company, LLC ("Emmes") is a global, full-service Clinical Research Organization dedicated to excellence in supporting the advancement of public health and biopharmaceutical innovation. We believe in the power of truth, so much so that we named our company Emmes, which means truth. Through decades of experience we have learned that collaborative relationships thrive and human health benefits when truth is our compass.
Our "Character Achieves Results" culture is driven by five key values that guide our actions in the way we conduct research and distinguish us as an organization: Integrity, Agility, Passion for Excellence, Collaborative Partnerships and Intellectual Curiosity. We are a trusted partner to clients who share our passion for improving public health in a world of ever-changing scientific research.
If you share our motivations and passion in research, come join us! You will be joining a collaborative culture that empowers every Emmes employee — from entry level through top executive — to contribute to our clients' success by sharing ideas openly and honestly. Primary Purpose
The VP, Corporate Controller is responsible for global accounting operations and internal controls, preparation of the consolidated financial statements, and integration of acquired businesses. The VP, Corporate Controller is expected to build and scale a global shared services Accounting team, leveraging low-cost global regions, and implement and maintain a global transfer pricing structure. Further, the VP, Corporate Controller is responsible for managing compliance with applicable federal and local regulations within the accounting function, managing tax filings within the U.S., and leading the financial statement audits, incurred cost audits, and single audits. Must be able to work effectively with individuals both within the Finance and Accounting Department as well as outside the department and proactively work with internal stakeholders to assess the operations of the organization and make favorable cost structure recommendations. Responsibilities
• Manages the operations of a global accounting team and functions that include Labor, Payroll, Accounts Payable, Billing, Accounts Receivable, Revenue Recognition, General Ledger, Treasury, Tax, and Statutory Compliance
• Responsible for developing company financial picture for CFO
• Prepare the monthly consolidated financial statements, including translation of international accounting principles to U.S. GAAP, translation of foreign currency to reporting currency, and recording eliminating entries
• Indirect cost structure management, including CAS disclosure statements, managing incurred cost audits, and completing incurred cost submissions
• Researches technical accounting issues for compliance
• Leads month-end and year-end close process
• Ensures quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
• Partner with Accounting and Finance leaders on process improvements, including system assessment and implementation efforts
• Manages and complies with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and global tax filings
• Leads the effort to support the financial statement audit, incurred cost audit, and single audit in accordance with section 200.514
• Develops, documents, and maintains business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
• Recommends financial metrics and benchmarks to drive financial performance
• Leads global business transformation efforts in conjunction with corporate strategic priorities
• Closely partners with the FP&A function to support data needs and analysis
• Proactively partners with others outside of Finance and Accounting to resolve issues with optimal solutions
• Supports the CFO in any aspects of due diligence for potential merger or acquisition opportunities
• Exercises good judgement and operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity
• Actively supports diversity and inclusion in all aspects of work
• Provides guidance, mentorship, and feedback related to staff development and performance
• Recognizes and creates an effective method of minimizing and addressing conflict
• Promote and embody the vision for providing an exceptional customer experience for both internal and external clients
• Other duties as assigned Experience
• Past experience implementing ERPs and global systems to support a shared services accounting structure, including offshoring efforts
• MBA and/or Active CPA
• Experience working in a Federal Government Contracting environment is a plus
• Experience with M&A-related accounting
• Experience with a private equity-backed business or other aggressive-growth business
• Strong organization, time management, and analytical skills
• Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work independently and also collaboratively with others to achieve goals
• High-energy, self-starter and detail-oriented
• Proficient with MS Office applications
• Experience with Deltek software is a plus Emmes is a federal government contractor and requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Individuals with medical conditions or sincerely religious beliefs or practices that prevent them from getting the vaccine may request an exemption from the vaccine requirement.
Why work at Emmes?
At Emmes, your actions and hard work will have a direct impact on public health initiatives, both globally and in our local communities with opportunities for volunteerism through our Emmes Cares
community engagement program. We offer a competitive benefits package focused on the health and needs of our growing workforce, including:
- 401k & Profit Sharing Plan
- Work From Home Anywhere in the US
CONNECT WITH US!
- Casual Dress Code & Work Environment
Follow us on Twitter - @EmmesCRO
Find us on LinkedIn - The Emmes Company, LLC
The Emmes Company, LLC is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.