Washington, DC, US
The Institute of International Finance (IIF) is the global association of the financial industry, with member firms from more than 60 countries. The IIF provides its members with innovative research, unparalleled global advocacy, and access to leading industry events that leverage its influential network. Its mission is to support the financial industry in the prudent management of risks; to develop sound industry practices; and to advocate for regulatory, financial, and economic policies that are in the broad interests of its members and foster global financial stability and sustainable economic growth.
The Global Policy Initiatives team is seeking to recruit an Economist with solid analytical skills and policy-relevant experience, and a track record of original research. The position is based at IIF’s headquarters in Washington, D.C.
- Contribute to periodic reports of Global Policy Initiative (GPI) by researching, analyzing, and writing about global policy and market developments with an emphasis on i) sovereign debt markets and on ii) a broad range of sustainable finance topics including energy transition, climate finance architecture, and carbon markets.
- Lead the drafting of IIF Weekly Insight which offers a concise perspective on global financial markets with an ESG lens under the guidance of senior team members
- Lead the publication of the Annual Reports on the Implementation of the IIF Principles for Stable Capital Flows and Fair Debt Restructuring, which includes close monitoring of sovereign debt markets and investor relation practices of sovereign borrowers across a broad range of emerging and frontier market economies.
- Provide significant contributions to other GPI publications, including special commissioned research projects and periodic chartbooks and ensure timely delivery of high-quality outputs
- Support IIF working groups on sovereign debt policy, GPI’s events and membership engagement activities, which includes developing agendas, drafting background notes and discussion summaries.
- Develop and manage ESG/Sustainable Finance databases
- Provide editorial support on report drafts and proof all final department reports.
- Demonstrate an understanding of IIF products and members and build relationships with IIF members to understand their perspectives, needs and concerns.
- Guide and oversee junior staff and interns on research projects.
- Applicants must have a graduate degree in economics, finance, or a related field, with an understanding of sovereign debt policy and sustainable finance, and at least 5-7 years of related work experience.
- The candidate should have strong research and writing skills, with an ability to craft original research from disparate sources and put together concise, thought-provoking, and impactful reports targeted towards a discerning readership.
- Research skills imply a proclivity for a data-driven, empirical approach.
- Experience with managing data, databases, and spreadsheets is key, and applied econometrics and statistics skills are vital.
- Familiarity of sourcing data via Bloomberg, Morningstar, Haver, or through other, similar platforms is a plus.
- The successful candidate will possess demonstrated initiative and technical proficiency and be able work well independently. Equally important is the ability to be flexible and manage multiple priorities, and work collaboratively in a team setting. International experience, awareness, and perspective are essential.
To apply, please visit the careers page on our website at https://www.iif.com/careers to submit your cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume.
IIF is pleased to provide its staff with a hybrid work environment. Covid Vaccine Requirement: IIF requires all those hired to provide proof of full vaccination against Covid. Accommodations will be provided only as required by applicable law.