RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Perform pre-operative, intraoperative and post-operative patient care.
- Set up, operate, and monitor specialized medical equipment such as cardiac monitors, oxygen delivery systems, arterial lines, chest tubes, defibrillators, pneumatic and electrical drills/saw, prevaccum flash sterilizers, electro cautery units
- Utilize the perioperative nursing process to formulate patient care plans.
- Coordinate with patients and family members regarding disease processes and provides emotional support, as needed.
- May be assigned as charge nurse of a particular shift and will assume the responsibility for promoting quality, cost-effective nursing care within the framework of the philosophy and mission objectives.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- A Personnel Security Investigation is required.
- This position may have specific initial background investigation and periodic re-verification requirements since its duties may require interaction with children and youth under the age of eighteen (18) years of age on a recurring basis.
- Selectees may be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position subject to pre-employment screening and random drug testing. Selectees will be required to consent to participation in random drug urinalysis testing.
- Immunization screening may be required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
- Must be required to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through the American Red Cross. Advanced certification (e.g., ALS) does not supersede BLS.
- May be required to obtain and maintain certification in Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS).
- May be required to obtain and maintain certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS).
- May be required to obtain and maintain certification in Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP).
- Applicants must be able to fulfill non-privileged professional credential requirements.
- This position may include shift work (evenings, weekends, holidays).
- This position may require rotating shifts (i.e. work schedule that requires employees to continuously rotate from one shift to another at predetermined intervals).
- This position may require the incumbent to work during irregular work hours which may include evenings, weekends, holidays, and/or varying work schedules.
- This position may require the incumbent to work on call during irregular work hours which may include evenings, weekends, holidays, and/or varying work schedules.
- This position may require the incumbent to work weekends and/or holidays.
- Moderate to heavy lifting may be required.
- Additional requirements may be determined as positions arise and will be communicated during the hiring process if you are selected.
- This position may require the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Tier 3 security investigation or access for the duration of employment. A background investigation and credit check may be required.
- This position may require the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Secret security clearance or access for the duration of employment. A background investigation and credit check may be required.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document .Basic Requirement for Nurse (Clinical/Perioperative) / Nurse (Perioperative):Degree:
A graduate or higher level degree, bachelor's degree, associate degree, or diploma from an accredited professional nursing educational program is required. This education must have been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs, Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education, or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained. (Note: You must attach a copy of your transcripts.)Licensure:
A current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a professional nurse from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States; and you must have passed the National Council Licensure Examination.Foreign Degree:
A degree from a Foreign Nursing School. Official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools.Exemption:
You are exempt from the basic requirements above if you are a current federal employee occupying a position in the 0610 occupational series and have been continuously employed in this occupational series since September 27, 2017 or before. Applicants claiming this exemption must meet the requirement below. Note: You will be required to provide appropriate documentation to the respective Human Resources Office to validate your status.
Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
Active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:Education/Experience:
A diploma, associate degree, or bachelor's degree in Nursing from a professional nursing program and possession of at least one full year of professional nursing experience (equivalent to the GS-09 grade level or above) which includes providing comprehensive nursing care to intraoperative patients, assessing pre-operative or post-operative patients, and educating patients or staff.
A PhD or equivalent doctoral degree from a professional nursing educational program or related medical science field.Exemption:
You are exempt from the qualification requirements above if you are a current federal employee occupying a position in the 0610 occupational series and have been continuously employed in this occupational series since September 27, 2017 or before. Applicants claiming this exemption must meet one of the requirement below. Note: You will be required to provide appropriate documentation to the respective Human Resources Office to validate your status.
Completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) from a professional nursing program
3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education from a professional nursing program. Education
See Qualifications section for education requirements. Additional information
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Permanent positions: Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Term positions: One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- A recruitment or relocation bonus may be authorized.
- Salary negotiation may be available for those candidates who are new to Federal service.
- Student Loan repayment may be authorized.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Permanent, term, part-time, intermittent or temporary positions may be filled from this solicitation. Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is temporary, full-time, part-time, or intermittent.
- Intermittent Positions: This position does not provide guaranteed work hours each week, and work will be assigned on an intermittent "as needed basis." This position will NOT lead to a full-time position.
- Intermittent employees are NOT eligible for benefits (Health and Life Insurance) (Annual and Sick Leave).
- Temporary Positions: A temporary position is time limited and may be extended in one year increments to a maximum of three years and may be terminated at any time during the duration of the appointment.
- Term Positions: A term position is time-limited and may be extended to a maximum of eight years.
- Position may require employee to wear a uniform and/or protective clothing.
- Some positions filled from this register will support the Federal Government's response efforts to COVID-19
- Position may be designated as Inclement Weather Essential. The incumbent must make every attempt to report for work on time and/or remain on duty during severe weather conditions.
- Position may be designated as Emergency Essential.
- Position may be designated as Key.
- Position may be designated as Mission Essential.
- This may be an obligated position.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- When you perform a Civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the government, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers the majority of your entitlements to be taxable. Visit https://www.dfas.mil/civilianemployees/civrelo/Civilian-Moving-Expenses-Tax-Deduction/ for more information.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) allowances may be authorized, subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations and an agency determination that a PCS move is in the Government Interest.
- Information may be requested regarding the vaccination status of selectees for the purposes of implementing workplace safety protocols. For more information, visit https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/faq/vaccinations/ .