Serves as the supervisor of the Jury Management Section, providing supervision and management of the jury trial system in Fairfax Circuit Court. Establishes and maintains quality control procedures for the Jury Management Section.
Specific duties include the following:
- Manages the jury administrative process, and oversees daily duties of staff engaging in jury scheduling, jury excusal requests, jury attendance tracking, jury orientation, and jury payroll process.
- Maintains accurate assignments of jurors to cases on the docket, analyzes and determines number of jurors required for each case.
- Maintains statistics and generates reports.
- Orchestrates and oversees all aspects of the annual jury questionnaire process.
- Drafts, finalizes, and mails out grand jury questionnaires to prospective jurors; reviews the returned forms and enters data within the guidelines of the Supreme Court of Virginia and Code of Virginia jury selection procedures; schedules jury commissioners to review and certify eligible jurors.
- Prepares and maintains a master list of eligible jurors for trials for the upcoming term.
Physical presence in the office is required with this position.Salary:
The selected applicant's starting salary will be in the minimum to midpoint range ($49,526.46 to $66,034.80) of the advertised compensation range. Promotional rules apply for current Fairfax County Government and Fairfax County Public Schools employees.Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
Knowledge of the functions of the assigned business areas and/or court procedures;
Knowledge of the Code of Virginia, the Virginia Supreme Court's Clerk's Manual, laws and regulations related to the assigned business areas;
Knowledge of the court's case management system and statistical reporting requirements;
Knowledge of principles and practices of supervisory techniques;
Ability to prepare reports and present findings in a clear and concise manner;
Ability to direct and coordinate activities of a moderate sized staff;
Ability to plan, organize, assign, train and evaluate the work of subordinates;
Ability to interpret and explain complex rules and regulations to staff and customers;
Ability to communicate courteously and effectively, both verbally and in writing;
Ability to motivate, develop, and direct staff;
Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals, including the judges, general public, members of the legal and business community, and department staff.Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to")
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to high school graduation; Plus four years of experience providing administrative support, technical support, customer service, or working in a court or legal environment.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- All newly hired employees will complete an attestation online related to their vaccination status against COVID-19 or a medical or religious exemption (forms provided by the agency) on their first date of employment or shortly thereafter. Employees who are not vaccinated, including persons with a medical or religious exemption, may be subject to a weekly testing requirement.
- This position is considered "essential personnel" and will be required to report to work during times designated countywide as approved for unscheduled leave regardless of the emergency situation (i.e., weather, transportation, other disaster).
- The appointee to the position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Associate’s degree
- Four or more years of Court and/or legal experience.
- Knowledge of the Code of Virginia and regulations in relevant areas.
- Ability to evaluate operations and ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Ability to formulate and implement operating policies and procedures.
- Ability to prepare and present complex and comprehensive reports, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to exercise tact, discretion, initiative, creativity, and independent judgment.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
Duties are generally sedentary. Must be able to push a cart, lift boxes, and files weighing up to 30 pounds. Must be able to stand for long periods of time. Must be able to input and retrieve data from a computer. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include a written exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.