CODE INSPECTOR I, II, III (PROPERTY MAINTENANCE)An Overview
Employees assigned to this class are in the Property Maintenance Division of the Code Administration and are responsible for conducting proactive inspections, reviewing complaints, and identifying applicable code violations; performing on-site inspections; negotiating compliance solutions with property owners, tenants, and business owners to ascertain the violation and recommending effective, corrective abatement actions. This work is performed under the general supervision of the Property Maintenance Division Chief.The Opportunity
The Ideal Candidate
- Performs entry level work and develops skills in code inspections in accordance with the USBC.
- Assists other staff by researching specific provisions of codes, ordinances, and related City policies;
- Addresses complaints, communicates abatement action, and provides required follow up;
- Enters inspection data, results, and reports into an automated database, prepares violation notification and corrective direction;
- Operates and maintains a City vehicle and all other issued equipment.
- Manages inspection schedule and maintains inspection reports;
- Attends community meetings and testifies in court, as required.
- Follows established industry safety guidelines and practices, and utilizes necessary safety equipment;
- Attends training to earn and maintain continuous education and certification requirements as required by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development and the Department of Code Administration;
- Maintains a current knowledge of City and department policies, procedures and guidelines;
- Attends meetings and testifies in court, as required.
The ideal candidate must have knowledge of the USBC and City of Alexandria ordinance which apply to building and maintenance code or the ability to readily acquire such knowledge. The ideal candidate in this class performs daily proactive field inspections, responds to service requests and complaints from members of the community to ensure compliance with the Virginia Maintenance Code and Alexandria’s Code of Ordinances. Work assignments are of a gradually increasing complexity and require application of accepted code inspection knowledge and techniques; and performs related work as required.About the Department
The City of Alexandria's Department of Code Administration 's focus is to assist customers to achieve compliance with the Virginia's Uniform Statewide Building and Maintenance Codes (USBC), and the City Code nuisance and development provisions. The department contains five divisions: The Permit Center, Property Maintenance Inspections, New Construction Inspections, Plan Review Services, and Administrative Services. If you are curious for a broader view of our City government click here , or for a broader view of the City of Alexandria click here .Minimum & Additional RequirementsCode Inspector I
-To qualify for the Code Inspector I position, all candidates must possess three years of experience in the construction or construction related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience or an associate degree in engineering, architecture, building construction or related field with 1 year of experience in a construction related field.Code Inspector II
- To qualify for the Code Inspector II, you must have four years of experience in the construction or construction inspection related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience or an associate degree in engineering, architecture, building construction or related field with 2 years of experience in a construction related field or a bachelor's degree in engineering, architecture, building construction or related field. Code Inspector III
- To qualify for the Code Inspector III, you must have five years of experience in construction or a construction related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience or an associate's degree in engineering, architecture, building construction or related field with 3 years of experience in a construction related field or a bachelor's degree in in engineering, architecture, building construction with 1 year of experience in a construction related field.
All candidates must have a valid driver's license, and selected candidate must meet active City of Alexandria Code Inspector Career Ladder requirements within the probationary period of twelve (12) months after their original appointment.Preferred QualificationsPhysical Requirements:
The following physical requirements are performed with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Ability to lift 50 pounds with assistance
- Ability to operate keyboard driven equipment;
- Ability to Work in adverse weather
- Ability to climb step ladder and ladders up to 40 feet with required safety equipment
- Ability to crawl, crouch, stoop, and work in uncomfortable conditions
- Ability to climb multiple levels of stairs
- Ability to reach with arms extended above the head
- Ability to go up and down steep inclines
- Ability to walk and adequately maneuver in an outside/inside environment.
- Refer to Department of Housing & Community Development (DHCD) and International Code Council (ICC) for current certification requirements
- In order to advance to the next career ladder level, a portfolio of work clearly demonstrating ability to perform work at next level shall be submitted to the Director or designee for review and approval
- This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment background checks including but not limited to driving record check, previous education and employment verification, and criminal background check.
Code Inspector positions may be filled at level I, II or III based on candidate’s experience and qualifications.
The salary range for Code Inspector I is $44,970.12 - $79,136.46 Annually
The salary range for Code Inspector II is $47,240.70 - $83,131.88 Annually
The salary range for Code Inspector III is $52,080.08 - $91,648.44 Annually