Labor Management Office Assistant
Position: Labor Management Office Assistant
Applications accepted until Nov 25, 2022.
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA) is accepting applications for a full-time, one-year limited employment term as Labor-Management Office Assistant. The position will have the potential - based on company need and performance of the incumbent - to be designated as continuous employment at the end of the one-year term. The position will split time between AFSA’s Labor Management Offices in the Department of State and our USAID office in the Ronald Reagan building. The incumbent will primarily support the AFSA United States Agency for International Development office but will also be required to provide additional services to the other AFSA foreign affairs agency offices (the Department of State, the Foreign Commercial Service (FCS), Foreign Agriculture Service (FAS) and U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM)). The incumbent will assist with office management support. This position reports to Labor Management Coordinator Patrick Bradley. The position is eligible for two days of telework.
This position will pay between $47,500 and $53,000 across 26 pay periods depending on experience. All employees have paid vacation and sick leave. All full-time employees have access to health, dental and vision insurance, vacation, sick leave, and a 401(k) and/or Roth retirement account with up to a 5 percent match. AFSA is an equal-opportunity employer.
AFSA USAID Office
1300 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20523
AFSA State Department Office
2201 C St NW
Washington, DC 20520
Telework can be allowed up to 2 days a week.
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA), created in 1924, is the professional association for the U.S. Foreign Service. AFSA’s 16,800 members include active and retired Foreign Service officers and specialists primarily at the Department of State as well as at the U.S. Agency for International Development, the Foreign Agricultural Service, the Foreign Commercial Service, the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, and the U.S. Agency for Global Media.
AFSA is also a labor union, serving as the exclusive representative of members of the Foreign Service. AFSA negotiates with the management of the principal U.S. Government foreign affairs agencies on personnel policies and practices affecting members’ working conditions, and represents members in formal grievance proceedings, office of security and inspector general investigations, and disciplinary proceedings.
For more information about AFSA, please go to www.AFSA.org.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform job functions.
Position and Principal Responsibilities
- Reception: Answer telephone, receive visitors in the reception area and provide directions to reach the appropriate party.
- Correspondence: Prepare, format and maintain files of all incoming/outgoing official correspondence (letters, Agency Notices, emails) for the USAID, FCS, FAS, and USAGM Vice Presidents and USAID-based Labor Management Advisor, including all official correspondence with USAID.
- Scheduling and Meeting Preparation: The USAID VP has regular meetings with USAID management counterparts. Ensure calendars are up to date for AFSA attendees. Solicit agenda input and prepare agendas for meetings. Ensure AFSA invitees are aware of meetings. If available, maintain meeting notes and follow up on action items.
- Member Support: Log incoming calls and email requests for services from members in the Netforum database, and channel requests to the appropriate Labor Management team member or Vice President where appropriate for follow-up.
- Member Event Assistance: Work with Membership and Outreach team on member events for the USAID, FCS, FAS, and USAGM Vice Presidents.
- Office Management: Procure and maintain office supplies and equipment for AFSA’s various Labor Management Offices. Submit invoices and receipts for payment.
Required Skills and Characteristics:
- College degree required; at least two years of related experience required.
- Proficiency with MS Office application suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Proficiency with Google platforms (i.e. gmail, calendar, docs, meet)
- Excellent calendar management skills, including the organization and coordination of complex executive-level meetings and the ability to reprioritize as needed.
- Excellent telephone skills, including listening, repetition, and effective networking.
- Strong inter-personal communication skills and ability to flag risks and delicate issues to the USAID Vice President and other office colleagues.
- Ability to greet office walk-ins and assist members at State and USAID.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree and strong writing, editing and speaking skills.
- Advanced user proficiency with Google Workspace and Office 365.
- Strong presentation support skills, e.g., PowerPoint and speech processing, biographic information gathering, logistical, travel and event arrangements.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance Requirements:
- Ability to work in the United States and ability to obtain and retain a USAID and State Department public trust clearance to obtain a building pass and system access at both.
Tech savvy. Member friendly. Service oriented. If that describes you, please send a cover letter and resume no later than Nov 25, 2022 to email@example.com. Please indicate “Labor Management Office Assistant” in the subject line. AFSA offers a collegial working environment. No calls please.