- The University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business
- College Park, Maryland
- Nov 15, 2022
- Dec 20, 2022
- Education, Colleges and Universities
- Full Time
Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship
Full-Time, Regular Exempt
The University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business is seeking a well-qualified Director to run its Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship. One of 13 schools and colleges located on the University of Maryland, College Park campus, the Smith School is a recognized leader in management research and education for the global economy. The school is consistently ranked among the world’s top business schools by leading business publications such as Business Week, Financial Times, Economist and the Wall Street Journal.
The Dingman Center of entrepreneurship is embarking on an exciting growth strategy and seeking new leadership. The Director of the Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship will lead the Dingman Center in the expansion of programs and the development of new initiatives to maximize the Smith School’s entrepreneurial footprint. The Director will work collaboratively within the Center, the Smith School, the University, and the Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in pursuit of pursuing student entrepreneurship education and opportunity resting on the Center’s three strategic pillars: inclusive entrepreneurship, fostering new venture growth, and leveraging Center and Smith School expertise. Provide strategic vision and leadership for one of the nation’s preeminent university entrepreneurship centers. Oversee the operations of Dingman Center and supervise employees. Collaborate with Smith School, campus and system partners to amplify impact of Dingman programs Enhance regional presence & national presence of Dingman Center.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in business, or related field required; MBA or other master’s degree required.
● Minimum 10 or more years’ experience required working in a professional/corporate environment.
● Minimum 5 or more years’ experience directly supervising others.
● Work experience in an entrepreneurial setting required.
● Experience working with business executives, angel investors, early-stage entrepreneurs, and university faculty
● Program development and management experience, including membership and sponsorship recruitment
● Exposure or experience working in academic environment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
● Familiarity with analyzing startup opportunities and startup pitches and ability and comfort in providing actionable feedback.
● Proven ability to lead and empower staff while fostering a positive, collaborative results-driven team culture that brings the best performance and learning environment for diverse team members to succeed and add value.
● Excellent written and verbal communications skills including public speaking.
● Self-starter and proven ability to work independently, and experience supervising employees.
● Excellent organization and analytical skills; strict attention to detail.
● Friendly, flexible, service-oriented manner.
● Experience and comfort public speaking.
● Extensive network in local & regional startup community.
● Effective and energetic networker.
● Proven ability to respond positively to extreme pressures of time and workload including early and late evening events.
● Comfort with international travel in support of Center’s global programs.
● Proficient in common office software, social media platforms, and use of the Internet.
● Ability to clearly articulate/present the Dingman Center’s value to all community members and stakeholders.
● Ability to think strategically about the Dingman Center’s relationship building and prioritize accordingly.
● Adaptability to operate with an entrepreneurial mindset within a higher education setting to achieve impact for students, donors, partners, and the border Maryland entrepreneurship ecosystem.
● A proven passion for providing high-quality customer service.
● Highly motivated individuals with the ability to lead and motivate others.
● A proven ability to prioritize and develop cross-cutting partnerships and collaborations through humility and intentionality to achieve greater impact across the University of Maryland innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystem.
● Ability to evaluate and solve problems creatively.
● Master’s degree or certificate in business management, marketing, communications, events or a related field is a plus.
● Fluent in using social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.) to engage stakeholders and monitor trends is highly desirable.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. When applying, please upload a PDF version of your cover letter, resume and list of references. For best consideration, please submit applications no later than November 25, 2022 at https://ejobs.umd.edu; however, the position will remain open until filled.
Candidates must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the USA. No H1-B Visa sponsorship offered for this position.
'For more information about the University of Maryland, please visit www.maryland.edu.
For information about the Robert H. Smith School of Business, visit our Web site at www.rhsmith.umd.edu.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.