Teacher Secondary History Part-Time - 10 Hours
Rochambeau, The French International School (“Rochambeau”), located in Bethesda, MD is an independent and coeducational day school, offering a unique combination of the French curriculum and a high-quality English program, to approximately 1,100 students from Preschool (2-years old) through 12th grade. Diversity is the hallmark of Rochambeau, with over 80 nationalities represented in the student body. We are dedicated to fostering a culture where diversity, equity, and inclusion remain at the core of who we are.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY and INCLUSION
Rochambeau is committed to a diverse workforce representative of our students, one that embraces cultural competency and an international community.
The position would involve teaching History and Geography through the senior school. Classes are taught in French and/or English and have to comply with the French National Curriculum.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
These examples of duties and responsibilities are intended only as examples of the various types of job duties to be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is a similar, related, or logical assignment to the position. Depending on the assignment these duties may require in-person attendance and/or virtual attendance based on the specific operational or instructional requirements.
Candidate will be working part-time (10 hours). Language instruction is English.
As an international school, we will consider applications from candidates who:
- Plan for and provide secondary-level classroom instruction in History and Geography in accordance with the French Curriculum. Prepare, administer, and grade tests and assignments to assess students’ academic progress on a regular basis.
- Develop instructional materials, assessment tools, and lesson plans according to the needs and interests of students, fulfilling the criteria of the French curriculum and U.S. policies.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among students, creating a learning environment to achieve academic focus and success.
- Select books and instructional material appropriate to the interests and maturity level of students.
- Evaluates student performance, maintains records for individual students, and prepares report cards each trimester.
- Evaluate students’ academic performance, behavior, social development, and physical health and maintain accurate and complete student records.
- Meet with department colleagues to evaluate student placement test results, monitor and assess student performance throughout the year in order to determine each student's current placement level, and discuss other departmental concerns.
- Participate in appropriate in-service programs or other professional development, parent-teacher conferences, and faculty meetings as required or requested. Perform all administrative and teaching duties in a bilingual language environment.
- Participates in curriculum and other developmental activities.
- Attends teachers’ meetings.
- Participates in appropriate in-service programs or other professional development.
- Acts as liaison between students, parents, and school staff as regards the Secondary school History and Geography program.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- The position requires a “Titulaire de l’Education Nationale” or a Bachelor (Higher is preferred) degree in Secondary Education from an accredited college or university or have a teaching degree with a minimum of 3 years’ experience of teaching (in relevant group).
- Bilingual French and English preferred.
- An experience in teaching History and/or Geography in an American school is a plus.
- Candidates with an OIB experience preferred.
- Ability to analyze and chart data, draw action and conclusions in order to leverage student growth
- Ability to enforce high standards for student’s behavior
- Ability to work successfully with colleagues on a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication and human relations skills.
- Skills in building an equitable classroom community.
- Positively support the school’s mission, policies and practices and work collaboratively in a professional organization.
- Maintain confidentiality and security of information.
- Hold self and others accountable to accomplish results.
- Eager to join and ready to show full commitment.
- Have proven experience in teaching the relevant age group.
- Experienced in teaching History and Geography in a pedagogical methodology approach.
- Keen on teamwork with a good sense of adaptability
- Eager to join and ready to show full commitment.
- Have outstanding commitment and ability to engage students and assist in developing their social, creative and academic skills.
As a condition of employment, all employees and volunteers hired are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and able to provide proof of such vaccination absent an approved medical or religious exemption. To make an application for a medical or religious exemption, please contact Human Resources at (301) 798-4802.
In accordance with Maryland House Bill 486, Rochambeau is required to contact all former employers to request information relating to child sexual abuse or sexual misconduct involving the applicant. If you would like additional information please visit House Bill 486. Also, all final candidates will be asked, prior to hire, whether they have been found to have engaged in, are currently under investigation for, or left employment during an active investigation in which they were accused of sexual violence or sexual harassment. When obtaining employment reference checks, these same sexual violence or sexual harassment questions will also be asked.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Rochambeau is an equal opportunity employer and is deeply committed to serving its community, advancing access and equity, and ensuring that all individuals are welcomed and valued. All applicants are protected under Federal law from discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age and genetics or any other basis protected by law. Rochambeau is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive community and strongly encourages all qualified individuals to apply. For an applicant requesting assistance with the employment application process, please contact Human Resources at (301) 798-4802 or email@example.com.
For more information about Rochambeau, please visit the Rochambeau website.