Dewberry is currently seeking an Entry Level GIS Analyst to join our Resilience Solutions group in Fairfax, VA or Denver, CO. For highly qualified candidates, we are open to attendance at other Dewberry offices nationwide.
This is an excellent career opportunity for an individual to join a team of professionals while working in a multidisciplinary consulting and engineering firm. The position offers great potential for professional growth and the opportunity to apply the latest technology to flood studies and water resource projects. Typical responsibilities are to work on water resources projects for federal, state and local clients.
Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you're an experienced professional or a new graduate, you'll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call "Dewberry at Work," that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
Technical responsibilities include:
- Data feature extraction/compilation;
- Create a variety of digital mapping products using various software platforms;
- Capture and analyze data;
- Create and manipulate databases;
- Elevation data Processing and Manipulation
- Assisting engineers in hydrologic and hydraulic analyses, modeling, and floodplain mapping;
- Production of Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMS) and updating related geospatial databases;
- Developing flood risk products and performing flood risk assessments;
- Perform analysis on GIS datasets for flood hazard mapping and risk projects;
- Checking for graphical and technical accuracy of FIRM deliverables and associated reports;
- Coordinating with the project team, project managers, clients, local communities, and other contractors to compile all data necessary to produce the most up-to-date product
Required Skills & Required Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Geography, GIS, or related field.
- Previous internship experience preferred.
- Knowledge or experience in data compilation.
- In-depth knowledge of ESRI's software, including ArcGIS 10x.
- Strong MS Excel and MS Access skills to leverage various data sources for use in GIS projects
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience / knowledge in geospatial programming using Python.
- Experience developing for the ESRI platform (ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server, ArcObjects, ArcSDE, Arc Engine).
- Knowledge of the National Flood Insurance Program is preferred
- CFM (Certified Floodplain Manager) is a strong plus
- Knowledge of FEMA's MIP tracking and reporting system a plus
- Knowledge of Environmental Regulations a plus
- Knowledge of Flood Mitigation and other Grant Programs a plus
- Knowledge of Watershed Planning a plus
- Innovation, enthusiasm, and creativity - ability to develop new ideas and to chart a path
- Ability to effectively juggle multiple tasks concurrently
The projected salary range for this position is $55,000-$60,000 annually. Depending upon other factors, i.e., skills, experience, location, market conditions, the range may vary slightly. Must have a valid driver's license, good driving record and ability to pass a driving record background check. Don't meet every single requirement? At Dewberry we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace for our employee's. So if you're excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the position description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may just be the right candidate for this or other opportunities. In accordance with applicable Executive Order 14042 and related requirements, all prospective hires for this position, performing work for the federal government, will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19, or qualify for an exemption to this vaccination requirement. Such proof of vaccination, or written request for exemption, will be required, following receipt of written offer.
*At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
*Dewberry is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
*Only recipients of an offer of employment from Dewberry, will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These screenings will be conducted by Dewberry's background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.