Please list all professional experience and explain any gaps in employment history. All of your application materials, which may include PDF files of work samples and/or links to audio, video, photography or graphics, must be uploaded to the field labeled Resume/Cover Letter/Work Samples to be considered for the position.Job Description
We are looking for a design editor to join the News Design team.
Our visual journalists elevate The Post's content across platforms through innovative storytelling that informs and captivates our readers. Our designers and editors create new editorial brands, thematic packages and story presentations on multiple surfaces, including washingtonpost.com, mobile apps, newsletters, a printed newspaper, a magazine and social media.
Our design editors are vital to our storytelling efforts. They partner with designers on creating presentations that are vibrant and adaptive to meet readers where they are. The ideal candidate is a strong collaborator and problem solver, is adaptable and has a vision for telling stories across multiple platforms. An understanding of motion graphics and previous management experience are a plus.
This position is based in our Washington newsroom and will require a weekend shift on a rotating basis as well as occasional evening work. Responsibilities
- Work seamlessly with the design leadership to inspire, enable, energize and coach a world-class creative team while cultivating a culture of innovation.
- Support design work that appears in off-platform environments and utilizes a wide array of design techniques.
- Solve workflow and technical hurdles to find avenues to tell stories across multiple platforms efficiently.
- Lead art direction that is engaging and help develop content-driven designs and/or illustrations that are smart, daring and reader-centric.
- Support the development of enhanced storytelling presentations with excellent user-experience design through strong collaborative relationships with departments throughout the newsroom.
- Experience leading cross-disciplinary teams and managing the growth of designers and editors.
- A portfolio of work that demonstrates a strong visual aesthetic, innovative and user-centered design work, and storytelling that employs a range of approaches - including art direction, typography and use of color.
- A collaborative spirit and the ability to build strong relationships.
- An aptitude for problem-solving, simplifying and communicating throughout complex visual storytelling challenges.
- Experience in leading work that showcases bold experimentation and a willingness to push the bounds of storytelling.
- Experience with art direction and working with freelance artists.
Those interested should upload a cover letter, résumé and portfolio highlighting three projects to ourjobs portal. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, but those received by 11/21/2022 will be prioritized. The cover letter should be addressed to Creative Director Greg Manifold.
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
- Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
- Nine paid holidays and two personal days
- 20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
- Robust mental health resources
- Backup care and caregiver concierge services
- Gender affirming services
- Pet insurance
- Free Post digital subscription
- Leadership and career development programs
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule, location, and collectively bargained status.The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
Ever wondered if what you are doing will Impact Tomorrow
? At The Washington Post
, every employee shapes the way we deliver the news. Find the career that's right for you