Crew Leader, Gardens and Grounds
6 days left
- Full Time
Position Title: Crew Leader
Supervisor: Director of Gardens and Grounds
Grade: 53, non-exempt, union
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week, 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM, Monday – Friday
This position fills a critical role within a dedicated team of garden professionals working together to fulfill the mission of stewardship and preservation of Beatrix Farrand’s masterpiece, a century after its creation.
Leads crew work and assists in the general maintenance, seasonal and long-term planning, and improvement of the Dumbarton Oaks gardens and grounds. Actively participates in the daily care and maintenance of this historic 16-acre property including 10 acres of formal gardens, with particular responsibility for the specialty duties pertaining to the crew’s designated section of the gardens. This position reports to the Director of Gardens and Grounds.
- Performs, and directs other employees in performing, general grounds maintenance. In addition to routine care of pools and fountains, lawns, hedges, and other plantings, may occasionally move and replace trees and shrubs. Prunes shrubs and trees; irrigates; mows and edges, feeds, and aerates lawns.
- Prepares designated area of the gardens for daily public visiting hours, including removal of snow and ice, leaves, and other debris from walkways and numerous steps.
- Maintains fountains and pools, including swimming pool (pumps, filters, and use and monitoring of required chemicals) as needed.
- Operates and maintains machinery and equipment used in performance of these duties. Assures proper use of Personal Protective Equipment for entire crew when operating equipment.
- Plans seasonal and long-term garden tasks and improvements in collaboration with the garden director and foreperson. Oversees execution of garden improvements in area of responsibility, including director design approval, plant procurement, installation, establishment, and maintenance.
- Works closely and communicates openly with the garden director, foreperson and other crew leaders to coordinate departmental teamwork for larger projects and tasks, share resources, and assist with institutional initiatives.
- Assists with other areas of the garden and special projects as needed. Performs related duties as required.
Minimum of five years’ professional gardening experience.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
Some horticultural training and/or grounds management background desirable, particularly in historic gardens. Strong leadership and interpersonal skills needed.
Certified Pool Operators License, or ability to obtain is desired.
Certificates and Licenses
DC Pesticide Applicators License in Categories 3A and 3B (or reciprocal), or the ability to obtain licensing within 1 year of appointment
- Ability to work outside in various weather conditions
- Endurance to walk, stand, kneel, bend, stoop, and climb
- Strength to push, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds.
The position remains open until filled. Please forward résumé and cover letter detailing relevant qualifications by clicking the link below.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.