Federal Legislative Specialist
Secure wins in Congress for policies that will transform our food system
The Good Food Institute is a nonprofit think tank working to make the global food system better for the planet, people, and animals. Alongside scientists, businesses, and policymakers, GFI’s teams focus on making plant-based and cultivated meat delicious, affordable, and accessible. Powered by philanthropy, GFI is an international network of organizations advancing alternative proteins as an essential solution needed to meet the world’s climate, global health, food security, and biodiversity goals.
How You Will Make a Difference
In this role, you will have the opportunity to lobby for public policies and investments that accelerate progress on alternative proteins as part of GFI’s Policy Team. We work to secure government support for alternative protein research and advocate public policy that places all proteins on a level playing field. Public support and fair policy will ensure that alternative proteins are affordable and accessible, leading to a more resilient food supply, more choices for consumers, and a stronger economy. The Federal Legislative Specialist will be responsible for:
- Collaborating with other legislative team members to build and maintain relationships with congressional offices on issues of importance to alternative protein’s success.
- Drafting legislative language and writing letters, comments, policy briefs, and fact sheets to support GFI’s policy priorities.
- Collaborating with other GFI staff to showcase their expertise via Hill visits and congressional briefings.
- Coordinating lobbying activities with consultants, industry stakeholders, and other advocacy organizations.
- Promptly and accurately recording all time and money spent lobbying.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Who We’re Looking For
The Federal Legislative Specialist must have:
- At least two years of experience working in legislative roles in the United States Congress, or equivalent government relations/lobbying experience.
- The ability to communicate effectively with both Republican and Democratic members of Congress and their staff.
- A working understanding of the federal legislative process.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex information clearly in writing and in oral presentations.
- A strong work ethic and self-motivation, including the desire to spend a significant amount of time on Capitol Hill.
- A solutions-oriented mindset.
- A high degree of organization and efficiency.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- The ability to work well independently and under pressure, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
- The ability to work creatively and effectively as a member of a team.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission; demonstrated interest in alternative proteins, public health, climate change, animal protection, or food security.
- A commitment to GFI’s values: believe change is possible, do the most good we can, share knowledge freely, act on evidence, and invite everyone to the table.
- The ability to contribute to the diversity of ideas and backgrounds on the Policy team.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We use a third-party anonymizing tool to redact personal information from submitted applications — including name, location, contact details, and several other factors — to reduce bias and increase fairness in our process. We strongly encourage people of every race, color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
Research indicates that men tend to apply for jobs when they meet just 60% of the criteria, while women and people from other marginalized groups only apply if they are a 100% match. If you are passionate about GFI’s mission and think you have what it takes to be successful in this role even if you don’t check all the boxes, please apply. We’d appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Associate Legislative Director
- Location: Farragut Square; Washington, D.C.; Hybrid (3 days a week in office, 2 from home)
- Travel: Up to two weeks per year for organizational retreats.
- Benefits: Full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) plan with employer match, flexible holiday and vacation plans, opportunity for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
- This is a U.S.-based position: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- COVID vaccination policy: GFI requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination will be requested before the start of employment. GFI will consider requests for accommodations or exemptions from this policy on a case by case basis, in accordance with applicable laws.
- Salary: $93,000-$95,000 (depending on experience and qualifications)
Application Deadline: November 29, 2022
Decided not to apply? If after reviewing this job description, you have decided not to apply, please let us know why by completing this short survey.
Interested in working at the Good Food Institute? Join us for the Career Opportunities Webinar to learn more about our work and ask questions about specific job opportunities! See upcoming webinar dates and more information here.