- Dumbarton Oaks
- Washington D.C.
- Nov 02, 2022
- Dec 07, 2022
- Maintenance and Repair
- Maintenance and Repair
- Full Time
Position Title: Building Assistant
Supervisor: Facilities and Services Coordinator/Assistant Director of Facilities
Grade: 48, Non-exempt, Union
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week, exact schedule to be determined
Building Assistant position performs a variety of duties which include custodial, housekeeping cleaning; event set-up, service, breakdown, and clean-up; and other related duties as assigned. This is a full-time (40 hours/week) and an essential employee position. The schedule requires weekend and from time to time after hours work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs daily cleaning tasks in assigned areas. These include trash and recycling disposal, floor care, offices, bathrooms, kitchens, and other common areas cleaning.
- Performs all aspects of housekeeping in the guest houses and other assigned areas such as changing bed linens, towels, and washing all linens; cleaning and stocking bathrooms; vacuuming; dusting rooms, etc.
- Reports required maintenance items to supervisor or through our work order system.
- Damp, mop, dry mop, vacuums, or buffs floors as directed.
- Performs heavy cleaning as necessary in assigned areas or as directed by supervisor; may include washing windows, floor stripping, wax, carpet cleaning.
- Cleans and stocks restrooms.
- Sets up and replaces furniture for symposia, colloquia, concerts, lectures, receptions, etc.
- Will assist with distribution of mail.
- Will assist with furniture relocation.
- Will escorting contractors such as pest control or others.
- Will stock, clean and maintain coffee stations in the break rooms.
- Performs other related duties as required.
High School diploma or equivalent and ability to read and speak English required.
- Experience in custodial, housekeeping work, in hospitality industry, cleaning and catering services within a museum, library or historic setting is highly preferred.
- Must have a flexible schedule.
- Must have the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- A valid Driver’s License is highly preferred.
Able to perform the physical duties of the position, including but not limited to the ability to move heavy furniture; work outside when needed, stand for up to 3 consecutive hours during service work at events or when it is necessary kneel, bend, stoop, climb, push, pull, climb a ladder, and lift up to 50 pounds. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Consistent with the new federal guidance, all Harvard employees must be fully vaccinated. Individuals may submit a request for exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exemptions may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
The position remains open until filled. Please forward résumé and cover letter detailing relevant qualifications by clicking the link below.
Dumbarton Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).