Job Announcement$2,500 Signing Bonus* Pump and Haul:
Operates 4000-gallon septic truck to safely transport wastewater on state roads and off-road terrain. Pumping sewage into the tank truck at various locations throughout the County and following prescribed routes to disposal sites in all weather conditions. Performing daily pre and post trip inspections, maintaining a clean and safe work environment, and reporting deficiencies to the supervisor and/or vehicle maintenance coordinator. Uses computers to create and enter work in the workorder management system. Performing other related duties, such as interacting with the public when assessing sanitary sewer issues, mitigating environmental impacts by responding to sanitary sewer overflows, pipe breaks, backups, grinder calls, and assisting with the cleaning of pump stations. Duties are performed under the supervision of the Environmental Services Supervisor of the Trouble Response Center.Sewer Maintenance Group:
Perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled duties required in the operation and preventive maintenance combination vacuum-flusher truck. Operates vehicle to safely and efficiently clean and maintain Fairfax County’s sanitary sewer system using high pressure water. Performs visual inspection of sewer manholes and lines, identifying defects and executing cleaning requirements. Uses other equipment that includes trailer-mounted pumps, crash cushion trailers, and camera-flusher units. Provides flagging and traffic control measures to ensure the safety of the employees. Uses computer to create and enter work int eh workorder management system. Performing other duties, such as responding to sanitary sewer overflows, pipe breaks, backups, grinder calls, and assisting with the cleaning of pump stations. Duties are performed under the general supervision of the Senior Maintenance Supervisor, and/or heavy equipment operator.Heavy Maintenance Group:
Operates a variety of medium and light equipment, including a tandem-axle dump truck, single-axle dump truck, backhoe, road roller, skid-steer loader, mini-excavator, compressed air tools, etc., in all phases of wastewater infrastructure and road construction (scarifying, blading, compaction, equipment transport, excavations, etc.). Conducts daily inspection, routine maintenance, and light repair on such equipment. Performs a variety of manual labor tasks, such as digging, loading, snow shoveling, grass cutting, asphalt leveling and raking, brush removal, lifting, pushing, and other heavy physical work. Ensures that appropriate safety procedures are followed when operating and working near medium/small equipment. Uses computer to create and enter work int eh workorder management system. Performing other duties, such as responding to sanitary sewer overflows, pipe breaks, backups, grinder calls, and assisting with the cleaning of pump stations. Duties are performed under supervision of the Senior Maintenance Supervisor, and/or heavy equipment operator.
Multiple positions will be filled from this recruitment. Note:
The appointee to this position will be required to be available twenty-four hours a day/seven days a week (24/7) as emergency essential personnel staff and is required to report to work during extreme inclement weather and during emergency situations to fulfil emergency services.*A $2,500 signing bonus is available to new county employees hired in the Motor Equipment Operator position. Applicants must possess a valid CDL at time of application submission to be eligible. Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Operates load luggers and septic tank trucks, and may use specialized equipment on each;
- Operates road rollers to compact subgrades, sub-bases, shoulder materials, and
- embankment areas;
- Operates single-axle dump trucks and small trailers in the loading, unloading, and
- transportation of small motor equipment;
- Operates various small equipment such as tampers, chain saws, concrete saws, etc.;
- Drives a refuse collection truck, overseeing crew members, checking truck for proper
- operating condition, and making minor repairs;
- Performs maintenance on medium/small equipment and vehicles (such as checking and adding fuel, water, oil and air; checking the brakes and cleaning vehicles);
- May perform a variety of laborer tasks, such as digging, loading, snow shoveling, grass cutting, brush removal, asphalt leveling and raking, lifting, pushing, and other physical work;
- Ensures that appropriate safety procedures are followed when working near equipment;
- Reads and interprets engineering plans for utility location prior to excavation;
- May lead a small crew of laborers;
- Effectively communicates with employees, supervisors and customers;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines;
- Reports unsafe working conditions;
- Complies with safety competencies.
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Working knowledge of state traffic laws and regulations;
- Working knowledge of general maintenance of light motorized equipment;
- Working knowledge of computers:
- Skill in the operation of gasoline-powered construction, maintenance, or refuse collection equipment;
- Ability to perform light maintenance on this equipment;
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions;
- Ability to read and comprehend maps;
- Strength and dexterity necessary to perform all required tasks including lifting, stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, noxious fumes, high levels of dust, etc.;
- Ability to maintain effective relationship with customers, employees and supervisors;
- Ability to comprehend and comply to safety practices;
- Ability to lead the work of others.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to completion of the tenth grade; and two years of experience in the operation of medium/light motorized equipment.CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- A valid driver's license.
- Class "B" commercial driver's license (CDL).
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, driving record check, and a pre-employment physical examination to the satisfaction of the employer.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience using computer systems related to Microsoft Office, GIS, and work order management systems.Participation or completion of Manhole Assessment Certification Program (MACP) or Pipeline Assessment Certification Program (PACP).PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Four years of work experience operating construction/maintenance/driving equipment.
- Class "A" Commercial Drivers License (CDL).
- Possession of any of the following certifications:
- Advanced Traffic Control,
- Confined Space Entry,
- A Virginia Flagger Certification.
Ability to lift/slide up to 90 pounds with assistance. Ability to work in hot and cold temperatures. Ability to walk, negotiate or traverse property sites that may be undergoing construction or having terrain that is not level. Work requires performing tasks in adverse weather conditions. Work requires performing tasks in an environment in which raw waste is present. Work requires pushing, pulling, lifting, bending, stooping, walking, and climbing in and out of catch basins and manholes. Must be able to climb in and out of a truck cab approximately 4-1/2 FT. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include exercise.NOTE:
This position is listed as "Open Continuous". Interested applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants referred on a continuous basis. Interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. If your application is received later in the recruitment process, it may not be reviewed or considered. The application process will close when the position(s) have been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home ( Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity. Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.