To help ensure the supervision of our students and to support their engagement in the classroom and on our school campus. ACPS will employ a "School Monitor" who is an adult that supports the students on our school campus. The school monitor ensures the students are supported and remain engaged in their learning. A School monitor performs a variety of non-teaching duties requiring the exercise of good judgment and the ability to get along well with all school stakeholders. The monitor in this class is responsible for the supervision of students and student activities and for maintaining order in all areas of the school.QualificationsEducation:
No previous work experience is necessary. A satisfactory work record is preferred.Certificates & Licenses:
HS Diploma or GED. Any legal-age adult may apply.Experience:
None required.Essential Functions
- contacts the school front office daily for a count/names of student attendance
- consistently supports students in all areas of the school
- contacts the front office or nearest teacher for assistance on student behavior
The monitor does not:
- provide classroom instruction, check homework, or collect any documents
- discipline the student other than the modest verbal direction
Duties. The school monitor will manage and support students while facilitating classroom instruction. The Monitor may assist students with the basic operations of the laptop computers. The Monitor also helps manage students throughout the school day whether in the hallways or during lunch, indoor or outdoor recess, or restroom breaks. Under the immediate supervision of a school principal or school staff, the Monitor also helps students to follow school safety protocols and other duties as requested by the building principal (e.g., fire drills).
The School Monitor also helps students follow public health protocols which include but are not limited to: maintenance of physical distancing; the wearing of face coverings inside the buildings; and reporting any safety concerns to school administration for immediate resolution.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be able to able to supervise and interact with students in a professional manner
- Basic ability to use computer technology equipment/tools
- Able to learn and follow public health protocols (CDC (Centers for Disease Control) and VDH (Virginia Department of Public Health)
- Able to follow the guidance and direction of a school teacher and school principal or administrator
- Must be able to have physical mobility and lift 20-lbs in order to lift books or adjust classroom furniture.
- Must be able to work outdoors during inclement weather conditions to monitor recess, help students to enter/exit the building, escort students to/from the bus drop off, etc.
Locations and hours are varied. Paid-Training
- Classroom Orientation:
- Each monitor will be provided with 1-day paid training for classroom orientation.
- The monitor must complete this training at least one week in advance of the job assignment
- The school principal and/or school staff will provide instructions for the school monitor to follow.
- Required training topics include public health, sexual harassment, CPR, and school safety.
Public Health Compliance
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Division-Wide Salary Range:
$17.00 - $17.00 / Per Hour Shift Type: