Job DescriptionPosition Overview
The Audience Development and Analytics department drives strategic and operational decisions for The Washington Post. This highly visible team applies analytics and research to support strategic initiatives and day-to-day operational support company-wide and is currently seeking an engineering lead.
We are hiring a hands-on engineering lead. As our engineering lead, you will work in close collaboration with newsroom, marketing, product, engineering, advertising, and finance departments on a diverse range of products and projects that have a critical and strategic impact on all aspects of the company. You will architect, design, build and deploy state of the art analytics products and tools that will be used by thousands of users daily. Responsibilities
- You will work with stakeholders to understand business needs and develop highly scalable infrastructure, solutions and make recommendations to help solve problems or improve processes
- You will architect, build and maintain data pipelines, analytics applications and products which includes connecting data sources, analyzing data, building business logic, and configuring visualizations
- You will be creating, maintaining, and integrating large-scale databases and other cloud-computing infrastructure. You will also be understanding and working with multiple data sources to meet business rules and supports analytical needs. Analyze potential data quality issues to determine the root cause
- You will participate in ongoing evolution, improvement, and automation of analytics infrastructure, products, and solutions including researching available technologies and recommend appropriate design solutions
- You will be applying agile and software engineering principles to gather business requirements and translate to functional/technical specifications
- You will prepare and present work products to various stakeholders including executives
- Partner with architects and other engineers to define vision for our architecture and drives us towards that vision
- Interact with subordinates, peers and/or managers in other work groups/teams /vendors/customers to share information and improve workflow processes.
- Lead a software engineering team in the creation and maintenance of infrastructure and various Analytics Products.
- Teach, train, guide, and direct members of the team. Oversee employee development and performance management.
- Building products and tools that contributes to the mission of The Post
- Energized by problem solving and love to ideate solutions for difficult problems
- Collaborating with smart people to solve tough problems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science
- 8+ years experience in software engineering.
- Experience managing engineers.
- Experience leading the implementation of technical products.
- Experience hiring and mentoring junior and senior software engineers.
- Proficiency with one or more server-side programming languages.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills with users, other technical teams, to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
When you join The Post
- Expertise with relational and nosql databases and big data systems (Hadoop, Redshift) that support highly distributed, massively parallel computation needs
- 2+ years of management experience.
- Experience architecting and implementing scalable SaaS or Cloud-based applications.
- Experience analyzing application and cloud environment performance.
- Experience with devops and own the full engineering lifecycle.
- Experience creating and maintaining APIs and shared web services is highly desirable
- Understanding and experience with key platform technologies including APIs & Management, Platform Services, Streaming Systems, Stream Processing, and Persistent Storage for Analytics and Applications
- Experience deploying applications in a cloud environment and improving web latency in complex large-scale deployments
- Experience with Web Analytics tools (Google Analytics), clickstream data and visualization and charting frameworks like D3 is strongly preferred
- Experience with server-side networking, proxying, and caching.
- Experience building applications using event-processing systems and streaming or messaging technologies, such as Kafka, Amazon Kinesis, or SNS.
- Experience implementing continuous-integration tools and patterns.
When you join TWP, you are joining a mission to connect, inform, and enlighten those around the globe with the highest caliber, most trustworthy news and information. Our multicultural, multi-generational workforce is constantly creating and innovating, leading the media and technology industries to better solutions. We welcome all perspectives and celebrate diverse backgrounds.
Whether you contribute to journalism, engineering, finance, or marketing, you are helping define the future of news.
We continue to shine a light into the darkness and hope you'll join us.
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
- Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
- Nine paid holidays and two personal days
- 20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
- Robust mental health resources
- Backup care and caregiver concierge services
- Gender affirming services
- Pet insurance
- Free Post digital subscription
- Leadership and career development programs
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule, location, and collectively bargained status. The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
The innovation doesn't end in the Newsroom - dozens of teams power The Washington Post
. We are now hiring the next innovator - how will you Impact Tomorrow