The position is a Engineering Equipment Operator for the Blue Ridge Parkway. The position will be filled at the Peaks of Otter Sub-District, located in Bedford County, Virginia. The primary purpose of the position is to operate various engineering and construction equipment. Major duties include:
Area/Duty Station Information
- Operates gas or diesel powered engineering and construction equipment with wheeled or crawler-type traction, such as road graders, tractors with bulldozer or angle dozer blades, front-end loaders, backhoes, wheel loaders, trench diggers, and large industrial tractors with pan or scraper attachments.
- Operates equipment to push, pull, pile, excavate, backfill, grade, or level earth and/or refuse.
- Uses equipment to perform such functions as cutting, moving, digging, grading, and rolling earth, sand, stone, and other materials to maintain ditches, road shoulders, and beds
- Road maintenance including winter snow removal on mountain roads in winter storm conditions.
The Blue Ridge Parkway extends 469 miles along the crest of the southern Appalachian Mountains through North Carolina and Virginia between two eastern national parks - Shenandoah and Great Smoky Mountains. For more park information, log on to: http://www.nps.gov/blri. Duty locations for these vacancies are located in the two Districts of the Blue Ridge Parkway.Bedford, Virginia
- The duty station is located on the Blue Ridge Parkway at the Peaks of Otter Maintenance Area, which is located in Bedford, Virginia. Bedford boasts the Blue Ridge Mountains to the north, Smith Mountain Lake to the south, Lynchburg to the east, and Roanoke to the west.RequirementsConditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- You will be required to submit to a drug test and receive a negative drug test result prior to appointment. In addition, this position is subject to random testing for illegal drug use.
- You will be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties; a valid driver's license is required. You will be required to submit a Motor Vehicle Operator's License and Driving Record. You must also submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that disclose all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you..
- You must possess and maintain a current Class A Commercial Driver's license
- You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided.
- You may be required to work on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and shift work.
- You may be required to travel overnight away from home up to 5 nights per month. You must obtain a government charge card for travel purposes.
- Government Charge Card: You may be required to complete training and obtain/maintain a government charge card with travel and/or purchase authority.
- You must obtain and maintain a current NPS Working Sawyer certification within one (1) year of appointment, a NPS Working Faller certification within two (2) years of appointment and Journeyman Faller certification within three (3) years of appointment.
: Possess or be able to obtain Class A Commercial Drivers License (CDL) prior to employment
To qualify for this position, you must have sufficient knowledge and ability in the following job-related factors: Ability to do the work of the position without more than normal supervision
(SCREEN OUT) O
peration of motor vehicles Work practices(including keeping thins neat, clean, and in order) Ability to interpret instructions, specification, etc. (related to mobile equipment operation) Ability to drive safely (motor vehicles) Ability to operate safely (non-motor vehicles) Reliability and dependability as a Engineering Equipment Operator
If your knowledge and ability in the SCREEN OUT
factors above is not sufficient, you will receive no further consideration. In preparing your application, describe in detail the experience and training which you have had that specifically prepared you for this job and to perform the duties described for this job. Experience should be clearly described and documented in your resume. The qualifications reviewer will not assume performance of such duties by Job Titles alone. Address your knowledge, skills and/or abilities in the areas shown in the job-related factors.Volunteer Experience
: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Education
There is no substitution of education for experience for Wage Grade (WG) positions. Additional information
This announcement may be used to fill additional positions if identical vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.Physical Demands:
Heavy physical effort is used in constantly reaching, turning, and bending and moving hands, arms, feet, and legs to operate different sets of controls to operate the equipment and attachments. Considerable strain is caused by the constant vibration of the equipment and the jerking and jolting from operating over rough surfaces. The work is strenuous because of the generally larger pieces of equipment and the requirement for more frequent adjustments under more adverse operating conditions. Ability to lift 50 pounds
Work is performed in all kinds of weather, often in an open driver's seat or platform, on hills, slopes, grades, and rolling surfaces. Operators are exposed to increased injury risk due to the larger more complicated equipment and environment that the work is performed in. They are exposed to noise, vibration, dust, dirt, and fumes from the motor and exhaust.
Current surplus and current or former displaced Federal individuals who have special priority selection rights under the Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) must be well qualified for the position to receive consideration for special priority selection. Well qualified means that the applicant meets the following: OPM qualification standards for the position; all selective placement factors, where applicable; special qualifying conditions that OPM has approved for the position, where applicable; is physically qualified with reasonable accommodation, where appropriate to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position upon entry; and is rated by the organization at least at the well qualified level on all competencies. Federal employees seeking CTAP/ICTAP eligibility must submit proof that they meet the requirements of 5 CFR 330.605(2) for CTAP and 5 CFR 330.704 for ICTAP. This includes a copy of the agency notice, a copy of their most recent Performance Rating, and a copy of their most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location. Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as a CTAP/ICTAP eligible.
Current Department of Interior (DOI) employees in the local commuting area who has been identified as surplus and eligible for priority consideration under the Career Transition Program (CTAP). For more information, select the following link(s): Career Transition Program (CTAP) .
Current or former time-limited (temporary and term) employees of a land management agency eligible for permanent positions under the Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA). For more information, select the following link: Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Click the following link for more information, https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information .