Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences of our employees. Job Summary:
Westat is seeking a Human Resources Generalist to provide HR support to a large recruitment and staffing function of temporary hourly staff, which includes all aspects of employee relations and retention of these staff who work on-site and in remote locations. Candidate should be comfortable dealing with all levels of staff within an organization; demonstrate ability and expertise in employee relations and performance management. An understanding of Federal and state employment laws and their application is critical. This position is full time onsite at our office in Rockville, MarylandJob Responsibilities:
Recruiting responsibilities will include:
• Partnering with operations staff to ensure that adequate staff are readily available to meet operational needs
• Managing full life-cycle recruiting process of temporary hourly staff for both on-site and remote (at-home) work assignments in multiple jurisdictions.
• Developing and implementing processes for retention of these staff.
• Supervising recruiting HR Assistant
• Maintaining current knowledge of relevant recruiting / staffing laws, procedures, and practices at the federal, state, and local levels.
Employee Relations responsibilities will include:
• Ensuring that business needs are being met while being compliant with relevant laws.
• Providing assistance and guidance to management regarding employment issues with potential legal implications.
• Conducting investigations as needed.
• Supervising employee relations HR Assistant staff.
• Assisting with the development of employee relations and compliance policies and procedures.
• Maintaining current knowledge of relevant employee relations and compliance laws, procedures, and practices.
• Participating in special projects as required. Basic Qualifications:
• A bachelor's degree with at least 10 plus years of Human Resources experiences to include a minimum of 5 years of employee relations experience with progressively increasing responsibility and 5 years of recruiting and staffing experience. Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience working in a Federal contractor environment.
• Experience with high-volume recruiting efforts of temporary hourly staff.Minimum Qualifications:
• Demonstrated experience in recruiting/staffing in a fast-paced environment to meet staffing deadlines.
• The candidate should be detail-oriented and possess excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly MS Excel.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Eligible employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Leave
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Protecting the health and safety of our employees and survey participants is a top priority for Westat. As a federal government contractor, Westat will require Westat staff, regardless of work location, to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon hire and to follow all safety protocols, subject to approved accommodations under applicable law.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.