RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You will troubleshoot repairs, modify, and test a variety of mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and air conditioning support units.
- You will work on equipment to include but not limited to: test stands, electrical test units, multiple purpose power and test units, cabin pressurization units, aircraft auxiliary electric power units, pre-oilers, and spraying units.
- You will troubleshoot aircraft ground support equipment to locate area of defective operation or breakdown and diagnose malfunctions and determine the depth of rework or repair required as well as material requirements.
- You will disassemble various systems and components of ground support equipment and replace or repair necessary parts such as bearings, ignition units, magnate units, steering systems, and similar assemblies.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Per the preliminary nationwide injunction on E.O. 14043, COVID-19 vaccinations will not be implemented or enforced. For more information on vaccine status and workplace safety protocol requirements see Additional Information below.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain a current valid United States driver?s license.
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- You will be required to wear personal protective equipment such as helmets, gloves, coveralls, glasses, goggles, respirators and safety shoes continuously for the duration of the work shift.
- This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the job elements and screen out listed below.This job has a screen-out element which will be used to determine minimum eligibility for this job. Applicants who do not receive a minimum of two points on the screen-out element(s) will be found ineligible. The Screen-out Element for this position is:
1) Servicing, troubleshooting, repairing, overhauling and modifying powered and non-powered aviation ground support equipment (AGE), (GSE) such as AC and DC power generators, air compressors, mobile air conditioning carts, cryogenic equipment, hydraulic test stands, munitions handling equipment, jacks, maintenance stands etc; 2) Performing circuit analysis and applying electronic principles to troubleshoot and repair various analog and digital devices contained in complex powered ground support equipment; 3) Interpreting tables, color codes, wiring diagrams drawings and schematics; 4) Knowledge of principles of electricity (AC/DC), solid-state circuitry, and safety rules and regulations pertaining to powered ground support systems; 5) Using hand tools, power tools, special tools, instruments, test equipment, and electrical meters to include special tools such as multi-meters, gauges, hydraulic presses, drills, valve spring compressors and micrometers; and 6) Communicating effectively both orally and in writing with a variety of personnel.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/federal-wage-system-qualifications/#url=List-of-Approved-Job-Elements
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. Education
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional informationCOVID VACCINATION INFORMATION:
To comply with the recent preliminary nationwide injunction on Executive Order 14043, Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees, the Department of the Navy is not taking any action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement. New hires will need to provide their vaccination status as well as comply with workplace safety protocols related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
Certain incentives (such as Recruitment, Relocation or Student Loan Repayment) may be authorized to eligible selectees.
A relocation incentive is generally a single payment intended to offset some of the relocation costs experienced by the selectee. A relocation incentive may be authorized.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Several vacancies may be filled.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.