This position reports to the GSFC Center Director. The Director of Sciences & Exploration is:
- Responsible for the overall management of the SED including the directorate's broad program of experimental and theoretical research in astrophysics, heliophysics, space physics, planetary physics, and earth science including atmospheric, hydrospheric, solid earth, and biospheric processes that interrelate to comprise the total, global earth system.
- Responsible for the science management of various space projects managed by Headquarters (HQ).
- Responsible for providing expert scientific advice to project and program managers on the implementation of their missions.
-Represents the Agency at meetings of national and international organizations.
- Acts as an expert technical consultant for the Agency in Science and Exploration and as a spokesperson for Science for the GSFC.
- Participates in Agency and Inter-Agency committees and panels involved in the planning and implementation of Agency and national research programs. RequirementsConditions of Employment
- The individual selected will be required to file an 'Executive Branch Personnel Financial Disclosure Report (OGE-278) in accordance with the Ethics in Government Act of 1978.
- Initial Senior Executive Service (SES) Career appointee is subject to a one-year probationary period.
- Successful completion of a background investigation commensurate with the risk and sensitivity level of the position.
- Successful completion of pre-employment and random drug testing may be required.
- Must meet qualifications requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
You must have the skill and ability to perform the duties described above as demonstrated by progressively responsible supervisory/leadership experience, normally obtained over several years by serving in positions at the GS-15 level or equivalent.
To meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position, you MUST
address each Executive Core Qualification (ECQ) and Mandatory Technical Qualification (MTQ) separately. If you fail to do so, your application will be rated ineligible. We recommend you provide two (2) examples of relevant experience for each ECQ. Responses to ALL ECQs must not exceed ten (10) pages; MTQ responses must not exceed one (1) page per MTQ. Please include your full name on all documents submitted.
If you are currently serving under a career SES appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into the SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program and been certified by Office of Personnel Management (OPM) you MUST submit a resume and in a separate document address the MTQs. Any ECQs submitted will not be considered. Your resume must clearly state that you are a current career SES, eligible for reinstatement, or SES CDP certified and year of certification.
When preparing your responses to the ECQs and MTQs, you are encouraged to follow the Challenge, Context, Action, and Result model outlined in the OPM's Guide to Senior Executive Service Qualification . For a sample template on how to format your ECQ narrative visit NASA's Executive Leadership Opportunities .EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS: ECQ 1 - Leading Change:
The ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.ECQ 2 - Leading People:
The ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.ECQ 3 - Results Driven:
The ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.ECQ 4 - Business Acumen:
The ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.ECQ 5 - Building Coalitions:
The ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS: MTQ 1-
Recognized in the international science community for research and publications in astrophysics, heliophysics, planetary and/or earth science research, with demonstrated experience in the management and leadership of science research activities. Demonstrated experience in leading, advocating, and implementing an organization's science objectives including technology development, effective long-range planning and mission proposal preparation.MTQ 2-
Demonstrated experience leading, directing, and managing a research organization comprising of scientists and project management staff with responsibility for research across the disciplines of astrophysics, heliophysics, planetary, and/or earth sciences. This includes managing budgets for this diverse research portfolio. Education
This position has a positive education requirement. To be eligible, you must clearly state in your resume the following: degree, major and/or minor, and college/university.
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major study in engineering, physical science, mathematics, life sciences, computer science, or other field of science.SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR FOREIGN EDUCATION:
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs. These education credentials must be deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, click here . Additional information
Must be able to obtain and maintain a Special Sensitive/ Top Secret security clearance.