Job AnnouncementThis job opportunity is being re-announced. Applicants who previously applied for this job do not need to re-apply.
Works as a member of the Retiree Services team to ensure that all retirees receive their monthly benefits in an accurate and timely manner, beneficiary information is updated as needed, disability retirees are monitored and processed in accordance with County Code, retiree deaths are handled in a timely and proper manner, and otherwise serve and assist retirees with anything relating to their retirement benefits.Functional areas include:
general administrative and financial support in a payroll and/or retirement administration environment.Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
General Financial Duties
- Supervises a group of clerical/accounting personnel performing duties at the Asst. III level;
- Determines, modifies, and implements administrative policies, procedures and methods to improve office practices;
- Designs and uses spreadsheets and databases to interpret and organize resource information;
- Provides customized reports to analysts or others in the unit.
- Analyzes data and develops recommendations for unit;
- Processes journal and/or budget entries (e.g., change orders, accruals).
- Performs duties requiring entry level professional knowledge of basic accounting principles;
- Resolves non-routine and complex problems;
- Prepares wire transfers;
- Performs unique accounting functions that have department-wide impact.
General Executive Assistance
- Provides advice and counsel to members of the executive/work unit head's functional area;
- Exercises discretion in administrative policy interpretation;
- Resolves a wide variety of operational problems requiring sound judgment.
- Acts as the liaison between the executive/work unit head's functional area, other county offices, and external agencies;
- Recommends exceptions to administrative policies that are subject to review.
Scheduling & Coordinating for Others
- Schedules/sets up presentation rooms, obtains required audiovisual equipment, schedules order of presentations, length, etc.;
- Independently composes original correspondence (e.g., preparation of replies to non-technical requests) for the functional area under their own signature;
- Explains and interprets policies as they apply to unique situations with potential legal and safety implications;
- Researches, coordinates, and provides information to others including citizens, executive/work unit head, and/or BOS members/staff;
- Anticipates and develops procedures/tools to prevent problems; solves unusual problems;
- Provides administrative support to the functional area (e.g., reviews, evaluates and prioritizes all requests and communications;
- Answers questions requiring decisions that tend to establish a precedent and/or commit a unit or supervisor to a course of action;
- Recommends procedural changes;
- Interprets policies and provides oral and/or written interpretations/procedures for non-routine/complex problems referred by front line staff.
- Edits for style, format, and/or layout.
- Creates complex spreadsheets for department;
- Operates/manages complex databases & other software using advanced functions;
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Prepares one of a kind reports, gathers statistics based on information compiled from various sources, draws conclusions, and makes recommendations.
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
Knowledge of county policies within functional area of responsibility. This may include knowledge of an outside institution, dissimilar operational unit within the county or the basic principles and methods of a professional field.
- Thorough knowledge of the executive/work unit head's program/area and of county administration and organization.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and be sensitive to political issues.
- Knowledge and sensitivity to issues, priorities, protocol, etc.
- Intermediate skills in the use of applicable Microsoft Office Suite software;
- Intermediate skills in the use of agency specific software applications.
- Ability to communicate well through written and oral means;
- Ability to speak in front of a group.
- Ability to gather, integrate, and analyze complex data.
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with both external and internal contacts.
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to high school graduation and four years of experience providing administrative support in the assigned functional area(s).NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience in a payroll and/or retirement administration environment.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Office computer software, especially Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to interact with members in a friendly, service-oriented, and professional manner and ability to handle tasks simultaneously.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working with and reconciling large batches of data
Work is generally sedentary in nature, performed in a normal office environment. All duties may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel Interview and may include a practical exercise.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.