Here at Appian, we're passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
The goal is to make it easy for developers to quickly build powerful, complex, and performant data-driven applications. We work with the customer's data, whether it be in traditional databases, web services or third party tools like Salesforce. We then layer on top of that our "Appian Data Service" which adds additional features that let the customer easily extend their data, join across sources, handle complex security, and create powerful UIs and reports. Building an app development framework that satisfies power users as well as beginners is extremely challenging. We need smart, passionate and innovative engineers to help us continue to improve our data-centric app development capabilities and ensure they are intuitive, fast, and flexible.
As a Senior Software Engineer working in the Modern Records Group, your mission will be to ensure Appian is always fast, scalable and up to whatever tasks our customers configure it to do. You will be solving problems of scale and flexibility that most engineers never see, building a product capable of serving our customers in ways you never imagined. Your scope extends from the high-performance data layer to the cross-platform user interface to the design tools used to create it.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments. To be successful in this role, you need to:
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- Leverage knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design patterns to write software in a full-stack Java & web technology environment, including but not limited to Gradle, JDBC, Hibernate, Spring, Kafka, Quartz, Typescript, Redux and React.
- Utilize both object-oriented as well as functional programming approaches in different technologies to implement features effectively.
- Leverage relevant software development experience to radiate best practices and faster development.
- Manage availability, latency, scalability and efficiency of the product by designing reliability into software and systems.
- Troubleshoot, investigate and diagnose incidents using a combination of tracing, alerting and log analysis.
- Contribute to software performance analysis and system tuning
- Be a strong contributor to team feature breakdowns/sizing and design of new feature implementations.
- Have a high degree of personal responsibility for the overall performance of the team, including capabilities, quality, stability and velocity.
- Perform code reviews which provide feedback not only on code quality, but on design and implementation.
- Build automation to prevent problem recurrence with tools such as JUnit, Spock, Jest, Jaeger, and/or Locust.
- Seek to identify opportunities for code refactoring and performance optimizations on a regular basis and champion these efforts within the team.
- Share advanced knowledge regularly on a team and occasionally with others in the department; build a reputation as a key resource in those areas.
- Effectively communicate technical designs verbally and/or in writing for small to medium sized technical audiences.
- Contribute to Appian's long-term documentation through publishing relevant, high-quality content to Engineering's technical documentation site
- Dedicated Learning Time. Over 3,000 LinkedIn Learning and Udemy courses, and tuition reimbursement for external educational programs.
- Engineering IndieTime & annual hackathons. We value activities that get the creative juices flowing and inspire innovation.
- Immersion into our community. Our affinity groups are a great place to connect and grow.
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field/degree
- Preferred Experience Level: MS in Computer Science or related field/degree and 1+ years of relevant experience, or a BS and 3+ years of relevant experience
- Experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment
- Fluency in Java or C#
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we're focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co-worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.