Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences of our employees.Job Summary:
Westat is seeking a Research Associate with data analysis and policy/research experience to work in a multidisciplinary team that supports health care claims, survey, and other data analysis projects in health services research studies. Job Responsibilities:
• Design, program and conduct data cleaning, data manipulation, variable creation, data set production and documentation, reporting, data visualization, and other data transformation procedures.
• Design, program and conduct statistical analyses such as histograms, correlations, t-tests, regression, factor analysis, reliability analysis, and other types of statistical modeling under the direction of research leads.
• Write technical specifications for data files, analytic variables, and production reports.
• Prepare, document, and perform quality control on code, logs, analytic results, and files.
• Support or lead stages of research study design, analysis, and report writing as part of a project team.
• Contribute to reports for clients.
• Contribute to papers for publication in peer-reviewed journals and presentation at professional conferences.Basic Qualifications:
• A bachelor's degree with at least 8 years of experience or a master's degree with at least 5 years of experience conducting health care claims and other data analyses. The degree(s) should be in public health, health services research, mathematics, statistics, economics, or related fields.
• Experience with data analysis techniques using SAS, Stata, SQL, or R.
• Experience using health care claims data, especially Medicare and Medicaid claims.Minimum Qualifications:
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Work in a collaborative team environment.
• Experience developing and implementing analytic plans.Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience analyzing data using Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) systems such as the Virtual Research Data Center and/or the Integrated Data Repository.
• Demonstrated expertise in quantitative research methods.
• Experience directing/supervising more junior programming staff and conducting quality assurance on their work.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Eligible employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Leave
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Protecting the health and safety of our employees and survey participants is a top priority for Westat. As a federal government contractor, Westat will require Westat staff, regardless of work location, to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon hire and to follow all safety protocols, subject to approved accommodations under applicable law.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.