THIS JOB OPENING IS BEING USED TO FILL CURRENT AND FUTURE VACANT POSITIONS IN THIS CLASSIFICATION AT VARIOUS SHIFTS, LOCATIONS AND ASIGNED DAYS OFF Minimum Qualifications Education
Experience Twelve (12) months following the achievement of a particular grade level (i.e. Grades D, C, B, A and AA), an incumbent may be advanced to the next grade level provided he/she has taken and passed any required written or practical tests, acquired any required certifications and has met acceptable fitness for duty, work record and job performance requirements.
- High School Diploma or possession of a General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- Vocational or technical training in Mechanical, or related field
- Level D
- A minimum of two (2) years of satisfactorily performing the duties of a General Equipment Mechanic, or related job
- Valid District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia Motor Vehicle Operator's permit
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations. Mission Essential Designation:
- In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or service suspensions due to severe weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events.
The General Equipment Mechanic performs scheduled preventive maintenance and corrective maintenance on industrial mechanical equipment located in facilities throughout the bus and rail system. The incumbent maintains and repairs mechanical systems and electrical control circuitry on assigned equipment including air handling units, vane axial tunnel fans, jetfoil axial-flow tunnel fans, roof exhaust fans, fan coil air conditioning units, jib and overhead cranes, drainage pumping stations, sewage ejectors, sump pumps, gas and diesel fueling systems; bi-fold, roll-up, and scissors gates, rail car hoists and lifts, bus and train washes and air compressors. Job Levels
: At each successive grade level of this job (i.e. Grades D, C, B, A and AA), the incumbent is expected to demonstrate increased, distinguishing levels of proficiency and efficiency in knowledge, skills and abilities when performing the assigned duties and essential functions described in this job description Essential Functions
- Performs assignments according to established safety practices and maintenance guidelines.
- Performs scheduled preventive maintenance inspections, tests, and repairs in accordance with standard operating procedures, operation and maintenance manuals, manufacturer's specifications, and local and federal standards.
- Monitors service control temperature and pressure and maintains electric, solid state and pneumatic systems. Monitors equipment and systems during operation to detect potential failures.
- Tests and calibrates system controls and equipment in accordance with schematics, wiring and flow diagrams, using test equipment or precision measuring instruments, to ensure proper system operations.
- Reads meters, gauges, fluid levels and charts to determine optimum operation efficiency and completes required documentation.
- Maintains electrical components, circuit wiring, starters, relays and motors. Inspects used parts and equipment for changes in calibration, dimensional requirements and manufacturer's specifications.
- Lubricates, cleans and recharges equipment; removes, replaces or repairs worn or defective parts; replaces and installs filters, metering devices and solenoids; adjusts belts and drives and performs high pressure cleaning.
- Performs corrective maintenance, troubleshoots and tests equipment and systems, subsystems and components. Uses precision measuring equipment and other instruments and tools as required to test defective electrical control circuits and to inspect, test and repair mechanical components, and systems. Operates special shop equipment (drills, grinders, fork trucks, hoists, cranes, presses, de-greasers, lathes) to perform maintenance tasks.
- Completes required documentation of maintenance work by using the proper forms, tags, or entering data into computer records; and prepares parts requisitions for the supervisor's approval.
- Implements approved engineering modifications to equipment assets and systems. Performs new equipment and component acceptance testing.
- Supports response in emergencies by providing immediate maintenance to protect assets and responds to and assists in severe weather emergencies.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria
- Attends and passes required safety training classes and learns industry best practices for working safely and efficiently.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.