Center 1 (19052), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Principal Associate, Data Science - Card Data Strategy
Data is at the center of everything we do. As a startup, we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 200 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making.
As a Data Scientist at Capital One, you'll be part of a team that's leading the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale, using the latest in computing and machine learning technologies and operating across billions of customer records to unlock the big opportunities that help everyday people save money, time and agony in their financial lives. Team Description
This associate will be part of the Bureau Data Strategy team which delivers a great customer experience for users of bureau features, maintains bureau data subject matter expertise, and creates high value credit features for use in predictive modeling in underwriting. Role Description In this role, you will:
The Ideal Candidate is:
- Partner with a cross-functional team of data scientists, software engineers, and product managers to deliver a product customers love
- Leverage a broad stack of technologies - Python, Conda, AWS, H2O, Spark, and more - to reveal the insights hidden within huge volumes of numeric and textual data
- Build machine learning models through all phases of development, from design through training, evaluation, validation, and implementation
- Flex your interpersonal skills to translate the complexity of your work into tangible business goals
The role will require a hybrid skill set of strong software and data engineering skills, good machine learning techniques, strong data analysis, familiarity with modeling and credit usages, and the ability to become a credit bureau subject matter expert. The successful associate should:
- Be able to deeply understand, extract, and transform raw data into organized formats
- Analyze and develop insights from complex data
- Derive and develop complex feature sets from source data using Python, to be used for machine learning models (feature engineering).
- Productionize data and pipelines leveraging microservices and Big Data tools (such as PySpark) on AWS, with DevOps pipelines.
- Strong software engineering skills and capable of developing and deploying production level code packages.
- Bachelor's Degree plus 5 years of experience in data analytics, or Master's Degree plus 3 years in data analytics, or PhD
- At least 1 year of experience in open source programming languages for large scale data analysis
- At least 1 year of experience with machine learning
- At least 1 year of experience with relational databases
- Master's Degree in "STEM" field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) plus 3 years of experience in data analytics, or PhD in "STEM" field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics)
- At least 1 year of experience working with AWS
- At least 3 years' experience in Python, Scala, or R
- At least 3 years' experience with machine learning
- At least 3 years' experience with SQL
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).